The margin

carpking4

What would you lot use in the margin for a rig as of you were placing it by hand, stiring up the bottom of an infil/spring pipe and fishing over bottom baits and groundbait, I normally use a standard hair but was wiundering what others would use if placed in the same situation

I would use what you normally use. that way you can test it there and also be able to see how the rig reacts in the shallow water.

If you don't get results start testing different things. I would imagine light lead as you aren't casting.

good luck :wink:

• 2 weeks later...

I have been hand placing rigs into the near margin of a Gin clear water that I am fishing at the moment, so far I have taken several fish in just a handful of 3 hour morning sessions.

This is what I have found to work for me

Standard stiff hybrid rig with section stripped at either side dotted with putty 8" long, heavy lead 3 - 4oz running on safe zone leader.

pva stocking enough to cover the hook usually pellet only though I don't think it really matters as I am using this to allow me to drag the rig back.

I place the rig in slightly further forward than I want to fish then watch the rig down or feel for it in low light. When it hits the bottom I immediately pull the rig to straighten it then slide a flying backlead on so it is about a foot or 2 from the end of the leader walk the rod back to the rest and use mega slack line.

Every tak so far has gone off like a steam train and I have caught each carp between 7am - 10am in 9ft depth (the water is so clear you can see the bottom in 15ft !!)

Because the water is so clear I have been able to mess about with the difference in presentation depending on how you lower it in and even with putty and stripped sections either side of the rig it makes a massive difference being able to drag back a foot or so. When you don't do this it is a real gamble as to how the rig sits - hence small pva bag donk it down and drag back immediately.

Tight lines pal and hope this helps