pop ups

carpkid12345

• 9 months later...
Try using a snowman! This consists of a large bottem bait (20mm) and a smaller pop up (15mm) sitting above the bottem bait on the hair. works a treat!GOOD LUCK :D

snowman rig I've read is best in the mid winter

and I'm going to try it in the summer. :)

The Snowman presentation is good all the year around. :wink:

It is basically a larger bait on the bottom of the hair (nearest the hook) and a smaller "top" bait;

It could be a 6mm pop-up over an 8mm bottom bait, or even a piece of (fake) corn on top of a boilie.

Just getting the 2 balanced usually so that the bait isn't fished "popped-up".

As for pop-ups themselves it could be that you are trying to fish a bait above the bottom debris like leaves or twigs, or that you are presenting a bait "in their face", be it a hi-attract or food source bait.

I'm the same as Jemsue, I have had big fish on pop-ups but because I have gotten a food source bait working prefer to fish bottom (food source) baits or snowman set-up, usually a piece of corn or bright bait as a "sight stop" if I do fish a snowman.

i used to hate using pop ups, didnt really see the point, my analagy was if you "came across a plate of chips and one was hovering above the rest, you wouldnt eat it would you?" now recently, looking back, i'd say approx 75% of my 20s and 30s have fallen to pop up presentations. usually fished about 3/4" - 1 1/2" off the bottom, usually on their own or with a light scattering of whole boilies about - i'm a fan of the big boilies approach, yet, for years i hated pop ups. these days, when i put a pop up out, i know that there is a good chance that the bait will be presented over the bottom debris, and that the presentation will suffice until i can suss out the best course of action, indeed when i caught a 27 + 31lb common i was fishing red plum double strength pop ups over pva bags of micro pellets over a large - plain silt bed, now i'm sure the micro pellets didnt last long, either dissolved - eaten by silvers or snk into the silt but the bright red stinking pop ups did the biz(za) twice that night, so they do work.

ouchthathurt :roll: