Willesley Lake near Derby

I fished this venue a number of years ago and i was looking to go in the next few weeks.

I had read on the internet about this place and it boasts that it does have a really large amount of good doubles in there.

Can any one shed some light on this as it seems that some lakes will talk up what they have in there as a pose to what they actually have in there. I'm only saying this because a number of anglers i spoke to begged to differ

Thanks

It's been 4 years since I fished it, I had plenty of fish out mid to high doubles being the average, with a good sprinkling of twenty in there, biggest I had was 32.4... And havnt fished it since that day as a 30 from Terence was my target, aight off the boards swim down in the shallows, I did 90% of my fishing down that end and was baiting regular on between sessions, rarely gets fished down there as the pegs are all a bit akward and caught very well compared to the rest of the pool... Which is why in nearly every post on willesley I advise people not to ignore the shallows, stacks of fish down there on Friday when I walked aroud, probably 15 people fishing and no1 within a hundred yards of them just like the old days

i walked round this lake today i saw fish all over lake to be honest some on there own some in groups,i spoke to one bloke who was doing 4 nights on there he was a regular angler on the lake putting in 3 out of 4 weekends in every month plus holidays .he said he had caught most of the fish in lake but was targeting about 6 fish that had not been able to catch,he reckons about 500 carp with about 10 fish over 30lb but hundreds of 20's ,he also said it's a very hard water and he puts kilo upon kilo in,(not sure on that one)but if you get a fish a night you have done well but i does look a nice place and i will be going back with my rods as i saw enough fish cruising today to convince me it's worth ago

meekster, if you can, avoid weekends on there, as it gets quite busy.

Midweek sessions tend to be more rewarding and, of course, more peaceful.

As Mr Coggins says, if the weather is half decent, take a good look at the shallower water. As regards bait, most will do but you might want to have a look at Sonubaits Boosted Wraps, Pineapple 18mm. I'll say no more :wink:

Ian

PS Forgot to mention Pepperami, large lump on a longish hair. Ha! :D

i fished this a few weeks ago for a few days. I had a 15.4lb mirror, there lovley looking fish. A couple of blokes 5pegs up on the wood side in the shallow part had a few. One of them a 18lb and the other a 28lb, they were fishing with fishmeal boillies. Im making this my main lake, id give the shallows a try thats where ill be heading for next. There is a mussell bed out in the middle aswell which is a good spot for the carp. I wudnt bother with particles much as i got pestered with bream.

Hope this helps mate