Has anyone fished Merrington lately?

Yeah, me and Welder were watching it last autumn just sat there taking no notice of us.

Merrington 20+ on the worms

IMG_0045.jpg

Jez, nice to be reminded of that catch. What a cracking looking fish. Also nice to be reminded of the barn owl that showed no fear of us whatsoever.

As regards the notion of fish thefts from Merrington, I have good reason to doubt it. Firstly, the resident fish were stocked from a water which is well known for it's shy, wary carp which don't surrender readily. This is not a runs water.

Secondly, Elaine, the owner/bailiff knows exactly who is fishing, where and for how long. This lady is no fool, despite her friendly, helpful manner.

Merrington isn't easy but rewards/requires thoughtful angling.

Ian

I doubt fish have been taken too the lake is situated on a farm, so i

would think it is very unlikey any fish have been taken. Elaine is not soft

and is on the ball as Welder said. im sure she can also see whats going on from the farm. Merrington is hard lake to fish, with clever fish im sure they are more clever than the dimwits who try to take other people's fish.

It may be hard but that is the beauty of Merrington lovely place, look out

for the Barn Owl if you go :wink:

Im goin up there Monday just for a day session. Had a walk round today theres about 6 anglers on there at the moment no fish out today though as of yet. Are zigs worth a try at this place? just been tackle shop and bought some lobs so thanks for that tip Welder.

I fished there, late last year, with Jez, Ian and Guy and was very fortunate to catch a 29.4 Common, early hours of a very wet, windy horrible morning. It is a hard water but, as said, the rewards are there.

Whilst on this subject, Merrington, I spoke to Elaine this morning with a hope of booking the lake in September for a social, she told me she wasn't prepared to allow socials or lake bookings any more. Her decision is due to the mindless morons who are not content or capable of conducting themselves in a civilised manner and have no respect for other peoples property and in fact no respect for other people and fellow anglers. Last year Elaine was on the verge of closing the place down, she was fed up of the rubbish and discarded tackle left on the bank and damage to the cabin after another forum, probably the biggest on the net, had their social there. Says it all really doesn't it, Carp Angling of today.

That's sad news Malc, but i'm not surprised. Merrington is a good venue for socials, good fish, facilities & it's central to a lot a anglers.

Can't say i blame Elaine though, it's just such a shame that mindless idiots ruin it for the majority. How long befor it becomes a syndicate????

I don't think that there any particular hot pegs, though I can understand the attraction of fishing to the islands which, by the way, don't always produce.

And if you've read Mach3's comment that he was "very fortunate to catch a 29.4 Common", don't believe a word. He wasn't fortunate, he worked hard for that fish and it was just reward for a thinking, working approach to Merrington.

His comment about the actions of other anglers, particularly those attending a social organized by one of the largest carp forums in this land, should be believed. The tales of trashing and abusing the place that Elaine told us beggar belief. Shame to be tarred with the same brush as bloody fools but we must see her point of view.

Ian

Let's be honest its not hard to take a rubbish bag with you and use it but i'm afraid what has happened at Merrington is a prime example of all that is wrong with carp fishing nowadays. Like you Ian i fish for various species and other than carp waters and carp fishing you never witness or see that type of behaviour. :evil:

Thanks to Jez, (and others) their hard work in arranging a Social on there, I've been fortunate enough to fish Merrington (once).

It really is a nice place to fish in beautiful (but cold) surroundings.

If the place is lost to socials because of some idiots it is a sad loss of a lake with some beautiful fish.

I have had the pleasure of catching from the lake, and all I can say is it is a lake worthy of the effort.

Definitely not all of the fish come from the islands. :wink:

[edited for grammar NG]

Thanks for the info, its a real shame that other anglers ruin it for the

rest of us :x . I find myself taking other peoples rubbish home sometimes, if i dont you worrie the fishing will cease as Jemsue said how hard can it be just to put rubbish in a bag and take it with you WHY WHY is this so hard. I feel the reward when i pack up and leave and my peg, and it looks like i was never there.

• 3 weeks later...
felly Posted: 6th Apr 2010 07:20 Post subject: merrington fisherie in shropshire

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

hi i was jus wondering ho wthe place i fishing at the moment thanks for your time and help chris

sniffer78 Posted: 6th Apr 2010 10:30 Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi couple of mates my mates fished Merrington 2 weeks ago, 12lb 13lb mirrors. Threre were a few more bigger fish out too on the lake. The 12lb and 13lb were caught on zigs so give that a go