Has anyone thought of putting some putty on their rig tube?

christoph22

food for thought gents and something that i seem to have over looked. So to pin the line down within the vicinity of the rig blobs of putty spaced a metre behind the lead?????? Can't belive that if a product is that dangerous it has been allowed to remain on the market for such a long period of time??? I always thought large companys such as mentioned would be at the forefront of carp fishing and carp fishing safety :(:?

Tel,

Thank you for the consideration of the thoughts posted.

Unfortunately I believe that manufacturers are sometimes pushed into releasing products without due consideration, fashion or maybe because of "fish at all costs".

if not do you have a prefered set up. The putty at the top of the tubing sounds like a good idea think ill give that a go

I'll post this pic again as it shows my standard lead set-up, a running lead going up and down tubing, although the rig is "top secret" :wink::?:lol:

This Running set up is pictured straight on my rods as I was retying rigs after replacing the Mainline.

Running Rig with tubing

Runningrigwithtubing.jpg

As you can see on this occasion I hadn't pinned the tubing down with putty, although sometimes I do, it depends on whether I feel that the fish are spooking off the tubing if it has raised off the lakebed.

food for thought gents and something that i seem to have over looked. So to pin the line down within the vicinity of the rig blobs of putty spaced a metre behind the lead?????? Can't belive that if a product is that dangerous it has been allowed to remain on the market for such a long period of time??? I always thought large companys such as mentioned would be at the forefront of carp fishing and carp fishing safety :(:?

Tel,

Unfortunately I believe that manufacturers are sometimes pushed into releasing products without due consideration, fashion or maybe because of "fish at all costs".

if not do you have a prefered set up. The putty at the top of the tubing sounds like a good idea think ill give that a go

I'll post this pic again as it shows my standard lead set-up, a running lead going up and down tubing, although the rig is "top secret" :wink::?:lol:

This Running set up is pictured straight on my rods as I was retying rigs after replacing the Mainline.

Running Rig with tubing

Runningrigwithtubing.jpg

As you can see on this occasion I hadn't pinned the tubing down with putty, although sometimes I do, it depends on whether I feel that the fish are spooking off the tubing if it has raised off the lakebed.

Looks good i personally wudnt be confident with such a long hair but im sure u have reasons for this, would u use this set up with slack lines? as its a running rig

Tel,

Running Rig with tubing

Runningrigwithtubing.jpg

Looks good i personally wudnt be confident with such a long hair but im sure u have reasons for this, would u use this set up with slack lines? as its a running rig

I'll let you into a secret, Long Hairs work better than short ones in most cases :wink:

And what is a tight line?

I haven't used tight lines for years unless the conditions are so bad that I can't them them slack.

A running rig is only a running rig if it is fished with a slack line. :wink::!:

i like the simplicity of ur rig, i might give it ago n ditch the old leadclip system iv been using the past few years. Is there any reason for ur running lead preferace of set up?

Most people fish semi-fixed leads, so I want to be different, and I think that running leads give increased indication and proper screamers. :wink:

i like the simplicity of ur rig, i might give it ago n ditch the old leadclip system iv been using the past few years. Is there any reason for ur running lead preferace of set up?

Most people fish semi-fixed leads, so I want to be different, and I think that running leads give increased indication and proper screamers. :wink:

Ye iv been put off my lead clip set up ever since my mate started catchin more than me wen he started using leadcore on a helicopter rig, our baits were the same but he seemed to always catch a few more than me, i think im gonna have a re think and expiriment with different rig styles.... plus rig tubings really starting to pee me off not being able to slide the line thru it

Ye iv been put off my lead clip set up ever since my mate started catchin more than me wen he started using leadcore on a helicopter rig, our baits were the same but he seemed to always catch a few more than me, i think im gonna have a re think and expiriment with different rig styles.... plus rig tubings really starting to pee me off not being able to slide the line thru it

Rig tubing is easy to thread!

Use a Gardner Tube threader, or a diamond eye pole elastic threader and it will go through almost any tubing.

I can thread Solar tubing with standard mainline though with no problems.

I gave up using Korda as no matter what I couldn't thread it.

I do NOT think that Leadcore is a safe fishing option, in any way shape or form:

https://forum.carp.com/carp-forum/viewtopic.php?t=39794

https://forum.carp.com/carp-forum/viewtopic.php?t=32598

https://forum.carp.com/carp-forum/viewtopic.php?t=38886&highlight=advanced+carp+fishing

https://forum.carp.com/carp-forum/viewtopic.php?t=40711&highlight=advanced+carp+fishing

Thats just a few for you :!:

The easiest tubing i've found to thread is Rig Marole Tubing which has the metal insert. The only problem is its the most expensive i've seen at £10 for 6 metres I think it was, its lasted me all year so its not that bad value.

Rig tubing is easy to thread!

Use a Gardner Tube threader, or a diamond eye pole elastic threader and it will go through almost any tubing.

I can thread Solar tubing with standard mainline though with no problems.

I gave up using Korda as no matter what I couldn't thread it.

I do NOT think that Leadcore is a safe fishing option, in any way shape or form:

https://forum.carp.com/carp-forum/viewtopic.php?t=39794

https://forum.carp.com/carp-forum/viewtopic.php?t=32598

https://forum.carp.com/carp-forum/viewtopic.php?t=38886&highlight=advanced+carp+fishing

https://forum.carp.com/carp-forum/viewtopic.php?t=40711&highlight=advanced+carp+fishing

Thats just a few for you :!:

Cheers mate this is probably where im going wrong then as all previous tubing i have bought has been korda!! whats the best silicone tubing out there? i dont like it to tight on the hook - i like to know its got a little give so that the bait can move free from the hook as the fish blows it out leaving the hook bare and able to catch a hold in the mouth

Cheers mate this is probably where im going wrong then as all previous tubing i have bought has been korda!! whats the best silicone tubing out there? i dont like it to tight on the hook - i like to know its got a little give so that the bait can move free from the hook as the fish blows it out leaving the hook bare and able to catch a hold in the mouth

:?

Silicon tubing I can't remember which one I have got :oops:

I bought a large pack of silicon tubing years ago, and I have kept it tidily packed away in a plastic box, only comes out when I need it.

Most of my hook rigs are shrink tubed, with 1.6mm black shrink tube which I get from Mo's Co.

Anti Tangle tubing; I was buying either Solar or Fox Running rigs, which come complete with the run rings, buffer beads and a length of anti tangle tubing :wink:

Not used the Rig Marole tubing yet, just haven't found the need for it, plus I worry about having to cut it down and leaving that little sharp piece of wire sticking out at the end :shock::!:

the only other alternative is to use a flouro leader with a couple of bits of heavy metal blobed on it this will nail it to the deck and as flouro is heavy and sinks like a brick anyway itl keepm it pinned to the deck and its almost invisible hope this may help a bit its the way im going now for this year and see what happens but then im changing to to a flouro mainline as the lake im fishing is gin clear

the only other alternative is to use a flouro leader with a couple of bits of heavy metal blobed on it this will nail it to the deck and as flouro is heavy and sinks like a brick anyway itl keepm it pinned to the deck and its almost invisible hope this may help a bit its the way im going now for this year and see what happens but then im changing to to a flouro mainline as the lake im fishing is gin clear

But why add a fluoro leader (https://forum.carp.com/carp-forum/viewtopic.php?t=32598), when at any range it is going to serve no useful purpose?

At around 40metres, the line is going to have arced down from the rod tip to the lakebed anyway, and is camouflaged against the lakebed. :wink:

• 3 weeks later...
going to try running leads this season - do you find that the tubing stays in the buffer bead ok and if it comes loose does it cause any problems, also do you ever fish a backstop on the tubing

No need for the backstop, and most of the time the tubing stays in the bead with no problems. Use a Solar rig "thingimajig (can't remember its proper name :roll::oops::P )

push the buffer bead onto the metal tube, and then the tubing into the small hole in the thingimajig, and slide the bead back down onto the tubing.

Using a large buffer bead or even a rubber tulip bead it grips the hooklink swivel and does not work free.

I have been putting putty on my rig tubing and safe zone leaders for a while now and beleive that it does help to pin the last few feet to the bottom. i dont think that using mainline straight through with sinkers on is such a good idea as rig tubing is not just for camo or anti tangle but to protect the carp from losing scales ect.

I have been putting putty on my rig tubing and safe zone leaders for a while now and beleive that it does help to pin the last few feet to the bottom. i dont think that using mainline straight through with sinkers on is such a good idea as rig tubing is not just for camo or anti tangle but to protect the carp from losing scales ect.

A question for you...

Why do you think that rig tubing is there to prevent lifting scales?

You DON'T fish floaters with anti-tangle tubing.

I have not lifted or can't remember ever lifting a scale when I fish mainline straight through.

The tubing is only used to prevent tangles or to break up the line and prevent it being seen (or felt; vibration, not against the fish).

When you fish at any range above about 40metres the line at that range near the end tackle is running along the lakebed anyway :wink: