to crimp, or not to crimp, that is the quetion?

chrisbonnie

hiya lads

just came across this forum as im going carping for my first time in 2 weeks, ive been general corse fishing for the last 3 months now, but want to start catching something a little bigger, anyway, enough rambling

i was reading a book on different rigs for carp and i came across crimping, which ive never seen, personally, ill be fishing the method feeder, as i heard this tactic works well on the lake ill be fishing, so would i be best crimping my connections instead of just tying a standard rapala knot, is crimping stronger, quicker, and basically, alot handier than tying knots?

any help would be great

Hi Mate,

Welcome to the Forum.

I have seen a few rigs where Crimping was recommended. For certain Stiff Rigs it was supposed to get exact Lengths and dimension required. Unfortunately it needed to use the Correct type of Nylon and specific type of Crimps as the standard Pike Crimps didn't work on Nylons at times.

If you are worried about your knots for swivles I would suggest the Uni/Grinner Knot for swivels and the same or a Knotless Knot for hooks.

If you look at the Sticky Basic Rigs at the top of the Rig Tying Section there are a few pics of Rigs in there with a pic and description of a Knotless knot. This method works with nearly all Hooklength materials.

Nick

so when crimping you need a certain line, otherwise it damages it, i didnt know that, cheers for the info lads

Not as far as I know Chris but it's just not something i'd like to do with my rigs mate

I think Wychwood recommended a particular type of line that they marketed and their own double barrelled Crimps

I think Wychwood recommended a particular type of line that they marketed and their own double barrelled Crimps

Ah right... I stand corrected then Nick, thanks for showing me up in public mate :oops::oops::oops:

I apologise Wholeheartedly! :wink:

It was only becasue I have a Wychwood Catalogue in front of me and an article that Colin Davidson wrote about Crimping. Think its a bit of trying to publicise their products :wink:

I wouldn't trust Crimped Rigs on Nylon either. Not even Sea Fishing, I have seen some catastrophes that have been narrowly avoided by crimps coming apart.

i dont like the look of them either and again its just overcomplicating things just learn a good knot such as palomar or water knot or as salokcinnodrog said the grinner/uni knot. i cant really see the benefit of crimps it probably takes longer than tying a simple knot and im not sure but i doubt if it would improve your presentation

i cant really see the benefit of crimps it probably takes longer than tying a simple knot and im not sure but i doubt if it would improve your presentation

I agree there but it is all to produce conveience for the army of instant carpers coming onto the scene. There is no need to learn all those complicated :?:?:? knots as all you have to do is crimp crimp crimp... it's as easy as 1 2 3 :wink:

Guest Anonymous

There is no way it is quicker to tie a short stiff rig than it is to crimp it. If you use the correct material ie. wychwood crimplink or something like esp stiff rig material a well crimped rig is far stronger than a knotted rig. Crimps are no good on standard nylon they will slip or on any type of flouro as it is to brittle and damages to easily. I feel people are posting on this thread who have no experience of using a crimping system. I now use crimps for all my short stiff links with no problems at all, its far easier to knock up a 2 or 3 inch stiff link than by tying, it makes producing quite complicated rigs easy for alot of anglers. Dont knock it until youve tried it.