Knots v Loops

free70

Hi :D

Wondered if anyone can offer some advice or point me at a thread with some information....

What I would like to know is when making rigs what are the reasons for choosing one over the other when deciding to use a loop in a line - hooklength material or main line - or a knot?

So when creating a hair rig you what decides if you add a loop or a knot to end of the hooklength so it can be attached to swivel or the like?

More importantly does a knot or a loop provide more security/strength for a rig?

Any help much appreciated :wink:

Guest Anonymous

Also, greater flexibility when it comes to changing the hooklink etc. This time of year (depending on my hookbait), I use small pva stickmix's or pva stocking with pellet. Having a loop in my hooklength(s) :!: allows me to thread my stringer needle through the bag, pull the hooklink back through & it's ready. When I reel in, I detach that hooklink, switch them & it's back out within seconds :wink:

• 2 weeks later...

I use a loop knot attached to the swivel with Amnesia and Combi rigs, and a Uni knot for Braid and coated braids.

It is the movement issue that I figure on. A stiffer hooklink will not move as much as a more supple hooklink, so to allow that extra movement and confidence I work out what I need to achieve, that includes checking what sort of material I need for the hooklink.

I prefer a swivel on the end of my rigs because i'm more confident in the strength of my knot and swivel than I am in the strength of my loop knots.

Even my Loop knots get attached to a swivel.

If you use a swivel and want to use a loop knot, then the knot in the Kryston packaging works with minimal loss of strength.

Tie, but don't pull tight, an overhand knot where you want the loop to end, put swivel or link on, with tag end go down through the overhand knot and then go 4 times round the main piece of line and then back up through the overhand loop. Lubricate knot and gradually pull both ends to tighten.

Never had one of them give way

• 1 year later...