Rib valley lakes

Hi there,

Has anyone got any information on Rib lake at Rib valley, such as any particular baits respond well i.e. bollies, particles. Also do any particular swims fish well and is the wind a big factor on this lake?

I id a search and could not really find much on the lake.

Thanks in advance.

Spencer

Anyone

WOW, a whole days wait!

It can take a couple of days (or up to a week) for people to see a thread and reply on that subject :wink:

You won't find much on going swims as due to the happenings at the lakes there are as yet no real hot swims. (Last year fish were moved from lake to lake as the Trout lake was closed for Trout fishing and Trout removed. Carp and other coarse fish then moved and stocked into the other lakes). The only way to find out is to get yourself down there and fish and learn as you go.

The only advice that I can offer you regarding bait is that my mate who fished it was getting some of his boilies from me, and I've been on Smokey Mackeral for a couple of years. When he bought his own (and also for another mate) they used B&F co and bought what they were used to. I'm not sure what his groundbait and spod mix was made up off, but I know that again they used B&F. So that may be worth a start and see if they can offer any help

Sorry didn't mean to come across impatient, understand that not everyone checks the website daily.

Have been over there and had a quick look around last weekend. But there was only one person fishing the Rib lake so couldn't really find out much information.

Thanks for your help.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I've been speaking to a friend who has moved into Hertfordshire for work and he has recommended this place, Rib Valley Fishing Lakes

Rib Valley Fishing lakes are situated in the picturesque Rib Valley immediately adjacent to the River Rib at Ware in Hertfordshire. Westmill and Millennium Lake are both coarse fishing lakes. All the lakes are open for fishing throughout the year with opening times being 7.00am. to dusk, seven days a week. A small lodge is available, where all anglers must sign in before fishing, with tea and coffee making facilities.. Toilet facilities are adjacent to the lakes. Infirm anglers may also drive around the lakes, providing ground conditions permit.

There is a tackle shop located at the entrance to the fishery where you can purchase your fishing tickets, bait or coarse and fly fishing tackle.

Any of the lakes may be booked for exclusive use for corporate days or party bookings.

The Lakes are situated off the A602 Ware to Stevenage road approximately half a mile from the roundabout on the A10. We are about fifteen minutes from the M25 junction 25 and 20 minutes from the A1 at Stevenage.

Proprietors. D.J.and D.M.Vigus

WESTMILL FARM

WARE

HERTS

SG12 0ES

LakesTele. 01920 484913

From what I can gather I have heard that the Carp are pushing up to 30lbs and there are plenty of other fish species as well

Before anyone asks, I've never fished it.

Ok so just a bit of an update on this place Westmill Lakes or Ribb valley fisheries in ware. I now live almost directly opposite these lakes and i cyle up there once a week and i am about to start fishing again after a few months layed off with illness.

Basically the larget lake Ribb Lake (used to be the trut lake). Had all the trout removed and the big carp that were present were left in here and at the same time all the carp fro Millenium Lake were transfered to Rib Lake along with those in the small Lake Westmill lake. Thus making Rib lake a purpose Carp fishery.

The stock does include carp to mid 30s. There were just over 100 carp all double figure and 20s transfered into the lake from the other two lakes plus the original unknow carp stock which includes the 30s. Also present are tench, pike and mixxed silver fish. There are also still a small number of carp being caught regular in Westmill Lake. At the same time the rules have been simplified. Boilles are now allowed (they were not b4). The Millenium lake is now the trout lake although you can fish this in summer for course (whats left) and carp may be transfered to Ribb. The small lake westmill is a mixxed course pleasure fishery (some carp) lots of good qulity tench.

The onsite tackle shop is where you go to get tickets and you must pre book night fishing which is £20 for 3 rods for 24 hours. The shop is well stocked with bait, terminal tackle, rods, reels, clothing, lugage and bivies on display. Also present is a cafe (hot and cold food, licensed bar) and there are nice comfy lodges and toilets and showers near each lake (which have recently seen refurbishment).

There is a full list of rules and prices on the website simply google rib valley fishing or angling and you will get it and there is a link on the westmill farm home page too.

As i say i live opposite the lakes and last week i visited 4 times between sunday and thursday. Now i will be honest the lake is not easy. It is most certainly not a runs water. On the Sunday there were a lot of Anglers present but in the hour plus i was there no one caught, i spoke to one guy who had been there since 9am that day and he said he had not seen anything. I walked the lake an additional two times that week and i must say during the week there were hardly any anglers present and those that were present were mostly match anglers. So not much presure. Now i have not seen any of the carp head and tailing and jumping but i did i did see some good sighns of movement.

Most of the anglers i have observed are doing similar or the same thing casting at and around the first island.

A mate of mine did a night on there a couple of weeks back - think it was him and 3 others. None of them had anything.

It's a reasonable size lake isn't it (according to the website it's 12 acres?) 100 carp won't go very far in there - that's a pretty low stock for today's commercial waters.

It's a reasonable size lake isn't it (according to the website it's 12 acres?) 100 carp won't go very far in there - that's a pretty low stock for today's commercial waters.

Well thats because it is not a commercial water. The main carp lake is not an easy runs commercial water i think i said that above. Its a serious water where if you catch its very very likely that you will catch at minium a high double figure carp with a good chance it will be 20lb plus. Please also bear in mind that the majority of the carp were only placed into the lake in May this year. They are attempting to make this lake into a big fish water. When you talk to the guys in the shop they are very clear and honest that its not a commercial runs water, they certainly dont pretend it to be.

Also the stock was just over 100 transfered into the lake with a pre existing unknown number of originals from its days as a trout lake.

That told me then. LOL.

:lol:

So, are you saying it's a day-ticket water pitching itself at people who want to catch doubles, with a good chance of a 20, that are more difficult to catch than the norm because there aren't so many in there. If your right, they've definitely found a niche in the market!

As Craigmarky said, they are attempting to make the lake into a big carp lake. Many of the carp were only introduced in May this year so they haven't really had that long to settle in to their new home. Rib Valley carp are notoriously hard to catch so it is much more of a challenge to catch a one. If I ever catch a carp from Rib Valley, even if it is a low double (or even a single) I know I will feel an immense sense of satisfaction as I know that I would have worked damn hard to earn that fish.

Fair play - I have the utmost respect for those who are prepared to work for their fish - all too easy to go to an overstocked pot-noodle water for instant carpers and "up" your PB.

Do you think many people are prepared to pay top dollar to work hard to catch doubles though - when they can go to places like the ones I've just referred to? The concept really doesn't sound like a go-er in the day ticket carping arena? :?

• 1 month later...

With regard to rib being a harder water,

i think a good few anglers would want to go to a hard water, a place that gives a challenge, if you have been fishing a runs water, and catching lots of hungry low doubles, then a water with bigger fish that are a challenge could be sensible move.

look at some of the waters terry hearn fished, big pits with as little as ten or so fish :wink:

Rib lake is certainly no double figure runs water thas for sure its definately on the right track to becomeing a good water. They seam to have sensible stocking and stock management most of the carp are doubles and 20s with a few 30s and those fish and the high singles to low doubles will grow on well with the ammount of space they have available

• 6 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

fished it last summer and blanked on two 24hr sessions I was impressed with the facilitys.

But sad to say a bunch of east euro's were drinking and having a bbq while fishing which ended in a couple jumping in and swimming through half dozen swims including mine.

They need to at least vet somehow who fishes there at the desk or at least baliff the water on a regular basis.

On the second visit when the bar turned out a [censored]head who was having a row with mrs decided to break into his caravan which she had locked him out of, useing an empty gas bottle and various bits of garden furniture he battered his way into the caravan, this was alongside the lake 30yds from my swim, needless to say no carp.

On complaining at the desk I was given a free visit.

The fact that 2k of boilies were wasted and 2 tubs of particles were used (brought on site) and totaly wasted through no fault of our own was not reinbursed.

As for the carping there sorry no idea.

Just to add to my last post : Disabled access to the swims at Rib Valley large lake is A1 with vehical access to a large number of swims with level grass banks.

Very good toilet facilitys with lge dry huts and kitchen facilitys, microwave and free tea bags coffee and sugar.

Also for those bivvy boys on a long one, theres a shower block included,

exspensive cafe and a bar.

Can be noisy at weekends with one of those get inside big air filled balls that come flying down the hill and stop up against the lake edge.

Was £20 for 24hrs all facilities included.

Good well stocked shop.

On a recent visit facilities, price still the same, NOT A RUNS WATER, STILL NO IMPROVEMENT IN BALLIFF ACTIVITY OR PATROLS

PLEASE REMEMBER: Ribb Valley is a holiday park as well as a fishery so along with this comes the noise and disturbance that people on a jolly up weekend make.

• 1 month later...

I have fished this a few times but only on the small lake, in fact I am going there on Thursday. I caught my 1st and only carp there in early September, a nice 20lb mirror :lol:

I have night fished it once catching only a 5lb bream, although my mate caught a nice 9lb bream and a few tench. The best place I found to catch was down the centre of the islands or the opposite end, as there is literally room for 3 rods max down there. This makes it an ideal spot if you get there early enough as no one else can fish it :o

The larger lake is a nightmare I am told, again a friend of mine spent a whole day there without a single take. Might try that in the summer when I have a bit more experience.

Oh the small lake is awful for crayfish as well :(

Ok just an update, fished it yesterday and both my mate and I blanked, not a single knock. We were on the smaller lake and it wasn't until around 4 we found out that apparently there are only about 15 carp left in there!

We were talking to a regular there who knows the guys in the tackle shop, and they are willing to stock the lakes with their own money, but the owner won't let them!

Anyway I think I will give it a miss now until the warmer months :lol: