People who shouldn't b allowed fishing!

theloner

I just had to post this as twice in the last 2 weeks i've been shocked at the dreadful rigs i've seen. First on suffolk water park which is certainly not a water that sees many noddys i fished out a rig which looked like a normal rig with a hair rigged boilie apart from the fact it was attached to a TREBLE! And a few days later at my 400quid a year syndicate(where you would think people would know how to fish) i had a run which felt rather weird and i'd hooked a tower. I reeled in and got hold of the stray line and handlined in a mid20 which was attached to about 30ft of line and a rig with a 3oz lead TIED on. Yes TIED with a palomar knot or somethin like it? Who goes out with this gear and thinks its acceptable? Both times i've shown to baliff but what can they do? Check every1's rig?

If it was my lake i would ask to see at least 1 rig on their rods. Alot of the time its people with all the gear that dont have a clue. When i was younger i used to think, look at all his posh gear he must be good. But now i realise i dont matter what gear you have got, if you cant put a rig on the end correctly all that posh gear is no good to you. I would also imagine that most of those rigs are from instant carpers. If they took the time to start fishing with a float rod instead of jumping in at the deep end they might learn more from their fishing.

Both times i've shown to baliff but what can they do? Check every1's rig?

I feel sorry for Baliffs as there suck in a 20/20 situation, if they ask to see every anglers rig they'll be seen as interfearing, but they have/need to look after there stock, i know a couple of places that check rigs and end tackle if your not known to them, yes its annoying but as soon as they know you they dont bother asking anymore. And if thats what they have to doo to protecting there lively hood im not that botherd :wink:

If your rigs are good and you have nothing to hide it dont matter how many times you have to bring your rods in to be checked id rather loose a fish from bring in my rods than loose one out of the lake .Lets stamp this out and suport our balifs and dont get the hump with them :wink:

Both times i've shown to baliff but what can they do? Check every1's rig?

I feel sorry for Baliffs as there suck in a 20/20 situation, if they ask to see every anglers rig they'll be seen as interfearing, but they have/need to look after there stock

I was on a quick early morning session yesterday down a local club water and i when i was packing up there was a guy just recasting and after a quick chat i told him that i was a bailiff and i asked him to see if i could see his rig and thank goodness, he didnt mind at all.

Even better, even though his leader was leadcore and he was using a semi fixed clip arrangement which i personally dont like to use on leadcore leaders, the clip did dump the lead quite easily. I just told him to make sure that the tail rubber wasnt on too tight and he took the advice well.

But i could imagine some anglers not taking the advice well and wondering why they should listen to someone like me and in no uncertain terms telling me to get lost. And its bound to happen at least once.

Fishery owners and bailiffs should and must try and stamp out the use of dangerous rigs by checking ALL anglers rigs. It's been said soooooo many times before, EDUCATION is what's needed whether the angler is a beginner or experienced. Don't anyone say that all experienced anglers always use safe methods of catching fish, they don't. Even some of the experienced use methods to catch fish at any cost.

As regards what an angler pays to join a syndicate or to fish a day ticket water doesn't mean that he/she is a responsible angler. Just means they they can afford it.

What I can't understand is that years ago when we made our own rigs from component parts, and not "kits" I think they were well thought out and safe. Also I think that anglers back then regulated themselves and helped each other. There is no excuse today as there is a wealth of knowledge on forums such as this one and in mag's ect today, which was not available 20 years ago, so why do people still use these "death" rigs? Is it that they can't be bothered, or that they just don't care???

People tend to think more about all the gear, than the safety of their quarry, Lets get the fundamentals right! :idea:

There is no excuse today as there is a wealth of knowledge on forums such as this one and in mag's ect today, which was not available 20 years ago, so why do people still use these "death" rigs? Is it that they can't be bothered, or that they just don't care???

Personally i think the mags are partly to blame.

Newcomers to carp angling see endless pics of 30lb+ fish in the gallery pages and think that that is the norm. They see it as all you have to do is just turn up to your local hole in the ground, throw out some ready made "kits" as you call them noknot, use the latest bait that has just hit the shelves and wait for the fish to crawl up your rod blank.

If they see it has easy has that do you really think that they care what rigs they are using, dangerous or not? I dont think they do. They just want the "big fish" on the mat cos that is what the mags have brainwashed people who dont know better into thinking.

To be honest its nothing short of peer pressure. It seems that a lot of anglers who see these gallery pics are just on the look out to get one over on their fellow carp fisherman just for bragging rights. So they will risk anything just to try and past the imaginary finishing post first, regardless of the consequences.

Thanks for input guys. Seems its a bugbear of some of you as well as me! I baliff a water near diss and sometimes ask to see rigs if i see stuff i dont like sitting on a tackle box or if i see them fishing like a novice. The amount of times people refuse and start swearing and all sorts. Most of the time their rigs are fine they just dont like being inspected. I rarely get them to reel a rod in. I wait for them to reel in then quickly pop round to their swim. I fish a lake in norwich where they routinely ask people to reel in so they can check rig. I never mind reeling in one of my rods as they only do it for fishes welfare and that should all be our no1 concern.

What I can't understand is that years ago when we made our own rigs from component parts, and not "kits" I think they were well thought out and safe. Also I think that anglers back then regulated themselves and helped each other. There is no excuse today as there is a wealth of knowledge on forums such as this one and in mag's ect today, which was not available 20 years ago, so why do people still use these "death" rigs? Is it that they can't be bothered, or that they just don't care???

People tend to think more about all the gear, than the safety of their quarry, Lets get the fundamentals right! :idea:

I would imagine lots and lots of people still used dangerous rigs back in the day. It's just that the internet and things like that wasnt around then so you never heard about it as much. Also back in the day unhooking mats wasnt used so probably alot of people didnt really realise that their rigs was dangerous. Because if they have the brains to rest a fish on solid ground why would they have the brains to use a safe rig? You only have to watch some Kevin Maddocks videos or simular to see what i mean. Also there are alot more rig parts like you say now and alot of people dont know what to do with them.

I would imagine lots and lots of people still used dangerous rigs back in the day.

You only have to watch some of John Wilsons rigs in his TV programmes to agree with this Paul. I saw him use his "shock" rig on an old estate lake and the lead was tied on with a so called "rotten bottom" straight to the mainline. If the rotten bottom didnt snap, they was no way that the lead would discharge from the mainline after a break.

He also put on 2 SSG shot about 1 and 2 foot away from the rotten bottom knot on the mainline to act like a backlead.

If any of us tackled up like that nowadays we would get shot.

I would imagine lots and lots of people still used dangerous rigs back in the day.

You only have to watch some of John Wilsons rigs in his TV programmes to agree with this Paul. I saw him use his "shock" rig on an old estate lake and the lead was tied on with a so called "rotten bottom" straight to the mainline. If the rotten bottom didnt snap, they was no way that the lead would discharge from the mainline after a break.

He also put on 2 SSG shot about 1 and 2 foot away from the rotten bottom knot on the mainline to act like a backlead.

Yeah you see him do some right daft stuff. I've got a Liam Dale Dvd here that my dad got me from carboot and im not sure how old it is but i imagine its a few years from looking at the tackle. But on that hes standing up with carp in his arms and carrying them back to the water like it. How they hell can someone like that be allowed to make and sell fishing videos when they havent got a clue. I've seen the same happen at venues still today. If i was a lake owner and seen that they would be off straight away.

Guest fenboy

I think he is a bit of a muppet myself ,but to be fair to him I think that program is quite a few years old so probaly before the days of lead clips ,in fact when fishing a very weedy water or one with a very soft botton a rotten bottom used to be the safest thing before clips running rigs were no use in weed , but on a clean bottom the fish would drag a lead around till it did get stuck in something ,my guess is that being an estate lake the bottom was deep silt .

• 2 weeks later...

The amount of times he catches big carp and has no unhooking mat and lays them in a patch of stinging nettles beggars belief. And i'm sure u've all seen the one where he hooks a koi fishing ridiculously deep in a reedbed and has to nearly rip its head off to get it out. Plus i met him once and he wasn't at all friendly. I wasn't pestering him. He has a ticket to the same syndicate as me and he was fishing on next peg to me one time. I usually chat to the guy next door in case u need his assistance in middle of night for some reason. He wasn't particularly nice so he's not my favourite person!

I would imagine lots and lots of people still used dangerous rigs back in the day. It's just that the internet and things like that wasnt around then so you never heard about it as much. Also back in the day unhooking mats wasnt used so probably alot of people didnt really realise that their rigs was dangerous. Because if they have the brains to rest a fish on solid ground why would they have the brains to use a safe rig? You only have to watch some Kevin Maddocks videos or simular to see what i mean. Also there are alot more rig parts like you say now and alot of people dont know what to do with them.

Fair comments Paul,

I can only speak for the anglers I fished with at that time, and we were very aware of rig safety 20 years ago! I think the problem is that Carp angling is so accessible today compared to 20 years ago, that some people angle for Carp with little or no experience or understanding how the rigs and lead set ups should work?

By the way I used an unhooking mat 20 years ago :wink: