Flourocarbon Leaders

manky12

edited.

I use clear Nylon leaders for most of my fishing.....

Some come with swivels attached, Personally, I cut these off before I use them, as I prefer to use a split quick link instead so attachment to the rig end is pretty straight forward, for the other end, the one thats attached to your mainline, I use a Palomar knot, which is one of the strongest wet knots you can use, but also, one that doesnt cut into the fused loop of the leader, which a grinner or blood knot can do! You can also use a loop to loop to join the leader to mainline, but IMO it's not as strong as a Palomar.

Some come with tungsten sections which will keep it pinned down on the lake bed, but having being coiled up in a packet for god knows how long, they don't usually sit very on the lake bed straight away, so I like to stretch mine down the inside of a door frame under tension with a cpl of pins for a few days before use, bit like you do with rigs on a rig board, this usually gets rids of any kinks n coils :D

Actually, thinking about it, I've made a major boo boo!! Sorry..... mine are actually Nylon not flourocarbon........as are most clear carp leaders for the very reason binfield pointed out....flourocarbon isn't that strong in comparison, so are you sure it's flouro one's you mean and not just clear??

Ahh ok, you can use a 4 turn water knot to attach it to you mainline, and a 4 turn BLOOD Knot as opposed to a grinner for attaching to a swivel, or you could use a Palomar.

Sorry for the early confusion......one too many beers last night!

:oops:

Try these:

https://forum.carp.com/carp-forum/viewtopic.php?t=33264

https://forum.carp.com/carp-forum/viewtopic.php?t=27479

https://forum.carp.com/carp-forum/viewtopic.php?t=32598

In most cases a leader serves no purpose other than creating another potential weakspot in your line.

There is nothing more invisible to the fish than a line running along the lakebed, so try fishing Slack lines and Running leads, which should be explained in a couple of the links above

i would like an invisible setup.

So would I but using a leader won't give me one! :)

Seriously though, I wondered if there was a particular angling problem you were trying to solve. Nick has pretty much hit the nail on the head and I would be reluctant to weaken my setup with a knot above the lead.

stick to leadcore or tubing . they will pin the line down better than any flourocarbon and will protect the fishes better. like the other lads have said using a flourocarbon leader is just another weakspot in your line and ive found that it is much more easily damaged to i dont know if it is softer than normal mono but thats what ive found lol

stick to leadcore or tubing . they will pin the line down better than any flourocarbon and will protect the fishes better. like the other lads have said using a flourocarbon leader is just another weakspot in your line and ive found that it is much more easily damaged to i dont know if it is softer than normal mono but thats what ive found lol

Sorry, I definitely don't agree that Leadcore will protect the fish, or even pin the line down better.

In the Leaders or Not thread link above, we had a long discussion on Leadcore and it is not good stuff to be using.

https://forum.carp.com/carp-forum/viewtopic.php?t=39794

This new link gives a pic of what can happen with a leader, and it does not need to be leadcore to be a risk. A bead that can't slide, or a rig that can't release. Even look at the pic in the thread that Tony started in this section.

Now please tell me, why use a leader?

There is no need except for long distance casting, when you are using a Shock leader to prevent the mainline snapping on the cast. When you do use a Shock leader then the lead, and rig must be free to come loose and ejected. So a Running lead is the best set-up. On top of that if there is weed or snags present, then a leader can tangle up in it, so basically forget fishing there.

All fishing must be done as safely as possible, and leaders, especially leadcore, are not the safest items to be using :!: