These hooks have cost me two fish?

jsouth

Hi,

I have been using the bass pro octopus/dropshot hooks lately (I know :roll:) to replace my slightly more reliable owner's octopus hooks. I use the size 6ish hooks to match against a small stack of corn.

91506c.jpg

Twice now my knotless knot has broken off right at the eye. I believe this happened as a result of me using thin P-Line 12lb cx co-filament hooklinks against their snaggy hook eye.

Tonight was completely ridiculous as I had a nice take and lifted the rod with little to no pressure and the hook came off before I could even feel the fish.

I have ordered some Gamakatsu hooks but haven't received them yet so I don't know what the eyes are like. The only hooks I have seen advertised as having a completely closed eye are the End Zone SP1/SP2 hooks.

Do you have any advice about my situation or can you recommend some sharp hooks, preferably with an outward turned and fully closed eye?

Fox Arma points mate, all the way. they do every pattern you will ever need and their eyes have good closure.

I believe the out turned eye pattern is called the SR.

Possibly not out in the USA tho :wink:

Ahh never noticed.

well why not stick with owner, i believe they are one of the best hook makers in the world, they make the fox arma points too boot :)

Maybe its your knot that is at fault??????

When you tie the knot less knot, do you get any slip or do you get any line wrap under the eye lassooing the hooklink???????

Are you tying the knotless knot the wrong way? if your doing it wrong your line may be rubbing against the join of the eye and then breaking. You want the line to go back through the eye so its against the opposite side to the join if you understand me ???

Thanks, I will look into the Fox arma points or see if I can find some Owner's hooks in the sizes I want. The Fox arma points would be the SR here too as only a few carp tackle dealers would have imported them. If I get picky I will probably have to order straight from Fox as I have from Gamakatsu :(

Thanks also for the concerns about my knotless knot. I will spend some time checking them and make sure I have them right.

Fox Arma points mate, all the way. they do every pattern you will ever need and their eyes have good closure.

I believe the out turned eye pattern is called the SR.

Possibly not out in the USA tho :wink:

The Gamakatsu hooks came in and I caught a dozen carp between Friday and Saturday. The size 6's seemed to bend easily and I had a hook pull on a big fish(felt like a catfish) after the hook was bent to almost a 90 degrees angle. I was surprised this happened because I was using 12lb line with the drag relatively low. Also, the barb doesn't seem to hold up very good. I can't remember the last time I managed to bend a hook like that.

I switched to size 4's Saturday to test them out and wasn't very happy about the size in comparison with my particle baits, but I didn't experience any of the same problems from the day before.

Side by side the Gamakatsu Octopus hooks were almost identical in appearance to my Owner hooks except for the finish and maybe a 1mm length difference in the shank.

Basically I don't like the eye or red coating on my stand-in bass pro octopus hooks, but don't like how many hook pulls and bent hooks I have already experienced with Gamakatsu.

Hi JS,

Sorry never had one! I use Gammas all the time and love them!

Pattern: 66810

Carp and Cats to over 20lbs, so they work for me! my friend has just changed over from Owners to Gammas, as he found them to be opening out! Gammas do not, Hope this helps.

Thanks noknot I will keep giving them a chance. I can't remember what pattern my hooks said and they are at home, this will be bothering me all day because I can't find much searching for "gamakatsu 66810" on google. I think that number may have been what I was using, it is SKU 1340_02 at gama's online US shop in my case.

edit: nevermind, it looks like the ones I bent were Pattern 02407 . The size 4's (Pattern 02408) were holding up.

Hi JS,

Sorry never had one! I use Gammas all the time and love them!

Pattern: 66810

Carp and Cats to over 20lbs, so they work for me! my friend has just changed over from Owners to Gammas, as he found them to be opening out! Gammas do not, Hope this helps.