canals

does anyone know any canals around the west midlands area that contain decent carp?

Grand Union Canal, Shropshire Union Canal, Birmingham-Fazeley Canal, Essington-Wyrely Canal.......erm.....every canal.

Just fish them, nobody else does.

Ian

cheers mate

had a walk up the Birmingham fazeley by Kingsbury water park last week for about 3 hours didn't see any fish so it put me off a bit, saw some nice spots though.

Probably struggle to see them there as there is alot of boats. One thing i do to find them on murky canals is to find some spots that look likely and on a hot day just put mixers or bread in at various stages and then walk back on yourself. Give it an hour or so then if you dont see anything move a bit further. I probably do this for about half a mile or so before i check another stretch. Still yet to catch a 20 out the canal but ive caught some nice looking doubles :D

• 3 months later...

I use the 'detective' method when out on bike rides down the cut. Every time I see someone with rods out on alarms, I stop and make some suitably dumb-sounding enquiries about what they are using the 'fancy kit' for and what they expect to catch. Act like a non-angler - get tons of info :lol: :lol:

does anyone know any canals around the west midlands area that contain decent carp?

Grand Union Canal, Shropshire Union Canal, Birmingham-Fazeley Canal, Essington-Wyrely Canal.......erm.....every canal.

Just fish them, nobody else does.

Ian

I don't know if it is any use to you, but I know that Septembers Advanced Carp Fishing has an article on Carp fishing the Grand Union Canal. It may not cover the area you are referring to, but I reckon it may be useful :wink:

• 1 month later...

For some decent carp try by the hare n hounds pub... Ive had a 27 and 4 mid teens out there in two sessions.. Using pop-ups and feeding hallibut pellets. Its shallow like 4 foot so use back leads so barges dont pick up your lines. Fish from the opposite bank of pub as no one walks there. Any of the swims is good most fish come in the night and try put up some kind of marker so barges see you are fishing so they pass by u on opposite side of canal.

For some decent carp try by the hare n hounds pub... Ive had a 27 and 4 mid teens out there in two sessions.. Using pop-ups and feeding hallibut pellets. Its shallow like 4 foot so use back leads so barges dont pick up your lines. Fish from the opposite bank of pub as no one walks there. Any of the swims is good most fish come in the night and try put up some kind of marker so barges see you are fishing so they pass by u on opposite side of canal.

Manndog, welcome to this forum. I guess that you and I are neighbours as I live in Water Orton, maybe 2 miles from the stretch of the Birmingham-Fazeley Canal that you mention.

You are quite right about the standard of fish in there, also try the water behind the White Horse in Curdworth, just up the road. Walk from the right side of the bridge and fish beneath the overhanging trees. Use strong tackle and enjoy!

Ian