Thoughts about buying a lake in France

zigthedaddy

Hi,

I have been having a chat with my wife about buying a lake in France in the future and was just wondering if anyone had any thoughts, has anyone done it and loved it/regretted it etc, it just seems as though every time you turn on the TV it is all doom and gloom.

I am sure it is such a lot of work and I am not even sure where to start looking, hence i thought I would ask the question on here as you can find all sorts of wonderful info on here!! :lol:

If anyone has any thoughts I would really appreciate it.

Thanks

Ziggy

Some for sale here...

http://www.frenchpropertylinks.com/buying.asp?feature=LAK

I thought they would be a lot more expensive than that :shock: I thought I'd have to win the lottery but it looks possible on 5 numbers plus the bonus ball :lol:

There's loads of sites if you type fishing lakes for sale in france into google.

To be fair the ones that we were looking at were €100+ so I very surprised.

Thanks for the link!!!!

Hi Gaz

I've replied to your PM but for open discussion I would add that you need a lake with a house adjacent and the entire property fenced to 2m or your fish may not remain where you want them.

Any area of unfenced land is regarded as public domain and will be walked and hunted at will.

I would strongly suggest that the best way to get a fishery in France is to buy an existing one so that you get an immediate customer base but that all comes at a price. Rumour has it that "Clearwater" sold recently for €850,000.

When calculating your potential income you need to work on a maximum of 30 weeks per year for however many anglers you expect and then don't expect to be full for all of those weeks. It's not sensible to have a high break-even point that you struggle to reach.

I love the life out here and wouldn't change it for the world but I have a wonderful wife who has supported me for 42 years and is an amazing chef so that all of the meals are top notch and I still get a buzz from being woken up in the middle of the night to photograph someones first forty or fifty or 100 lb catfish. As an out and out plug I have just finished writing about my search for and setting up of Moorland Fisheries and it will be the last 22,000 words of Jason Rider's new book from M-press released in May this year so you may find that interesting.

Keith

Keith 850,000 euros are you serious?? I pity the guy who has paid that amount if true, way over the top!!

To the original poster, if you wait another 6 months there will be plenty more venues available for purchase and the prices will fall, though with the exchange rate this might not make a difference to the buyer. I can endorse what Keith has said, we have a similar background and support, though I gave up trying to write an article for Jasons book (though I was 1 of the 1st invited to do so), because after writing 18,000 words, I gave up, kept going off topic!!

Good luck if you decide to make a life in France, but you must put quality of life before money, if not ......

Keith 850,000 euros are you serious?? I pity the guy who has paid that amount if true, way over the top!!

I'm surprised that you find that figure ott. I would have thought that a good sized house, several acres of land withtwo large lakes included and a good business that turns over somewhere around 80,000. per annum is going to command that kind of figure as a whole.