chods or hinged stiff rig

nick12345

i was wondering what people thought about the two rigs in question, for example

-their mechanics, how they work and the differences between them ?

-peoples personal preferences between the 2 ?

-Their lead set-ups and how they are presented etc

any oppinions are welcome nick.

They both use the principal of a short stiff link for its antieject properties, but thats where the similarity ends.

I have no preference for either.

Both presented and used quite differently,the chod being used as a sliding link up line above the lead in silt,silkweed and the like.

The hooklink is shaped into a curve and as a consiquence of this and the fact that it can spin in any direction the fish have great difficulty in dealing with it.

The hinged stifflink is normaly fished after the lead,ie leadclip or inline.

Now this rig is useing the same effect of the stiff section being difficult to eject,but it is desighned for clear bottoms,and often used with bottom bait.

They are both good rigs in the right situation.

so your saying that if possible/cleaner bottom then its better to use a hinged stiff rig than a chod ? as they are the same but with a boom.

what im trying to get at here is the point of the boom section and what it actually does in the mechanics of the rig ? is the hinged stiff rig a better hooker than a chod ? in most cases apart from the weed factor which means a chod is called for ?

and i was wondering about boom lengths ? and loop sizes for the hinged stiff rig, and what effects the differing variations/lengths would have on the finshed rig.

cheers nick

so your saying that if possible/cleaner bottom then its better to use a hinged stiff rig than a chod ? as they are the same but with a boom.

what im trying to get at here is the point of the boom section and what it actually does in the mechanics of the rig ? is the hinged stiff rig a better hooker than a chod ? in most cases apart from the weed factor which means a chod is called for ?

and i was wondering about boom lengths ? and loop sizes for the hinged stiff rig, and what effects the differing variations/lengths would have on the finshed rig.

cheers nick

The boom section is there to keep the link away from the lead,exactly the sale as in a combi rig.

The stiff hook link works as a great anti eject rig,but only with carp that suck and blow,a lot do not.

If they are pickers than instead of the stiff link you are better off with a supple section.

And as with all rigs the length depends on the way the fish are feeding.

The chod in the right place cannot be beaten for hooking.

Its just a SIMPLE case of working out how your target carp are feeding,and then using the right rig for the job.

I will say without malice if you cannot work out the mechanics of a hinged stiff link you should maybe stick to straight forward knotless knotted coated braid or mono hooklinks.

i understand the mechanics of the rig and their presentation uses, i had read about (terry hearn) the hinged stiff rig being best suited to helicopter type presentations as the stiff part will/may stick up with inlines and lead clip systems when fishing in silt and muck.

In this occurance i couldn't work out why you would have a boom as the rig is situed on the leadcore.

The stiff hook part of both rigs is the same for a chod as it is the hinged stiff rig, so if it runs/sits on the leadcore is the boom pointless ?

or does it aid in the entry into the carps mouth, or for ejection purposes.

or shold we just be using a chod and doing away with the boom all together (in these circumstances) ?

Finally i was thinking about loop and rig movement is it beter to have a more flexible freely moving rig or to have a tight stiffer set-up as im sure both can have their merits,

have people done well on smaller or larger size loops or no loops etc ?

You have confused me to a degree.

Where did you read this? did you misread it? or was it misprinted.

You see My understanding is Terry uses the chod with a popup if he suspects that the bottom is chod/silt.

The hinged stifflink with popup on clean bottoms and a braid link for bottom baits,both of the latter two have the lead tied to the swival[no clip]

I know Terry wrote an artical for Angling times? that confused a lot of readers as he was taling about how he tied up the short section for hinged rigs and chods,and how one developed from the other, a lot of people took it to mean he uses the hinged rig on the helicopter.

Hope this might be of help

Try this:

A stiff 5" fluro hook link to a knotless knot, with shrink tube on the hook( make sure the tube is cut off at an angle in a direct line to the hook point) and is only fixed opposite the point on the shank, and for the swivel, I do a double overhand knot passing the swivel though the loops twice to form the loop, this nails them every time and you will land 99%

Tip: You can prepare shrink tube at home, just by tying a normal hook as a pattern, and then shape the tube over steam: 1 easier and the plastic will set, and 2 you can reuse with no worry about over heating your rig :wink:

Tip: You can prepare shrink tube at home, just by tying a normal hook as a pattern, and then shape the tube: 1 easier and the plastic will set, and 2 you can reuse with no worry about over heating your rig :wink:

I do that if i want to use shrink tube with flurocarbon and especialy mono in case the heat of the steam weakens the material :)

• 2 years later...

Can't work out how though.. any tips? Pva taping a stick on? with rig foam over point of hook? really wanna sort an anti tangle rig out.. gonna try chods and helicopter rig maybe.. But an anti tangle bottom bait rig.. Doesn't have to be too fancy my water aint hard.. rig just needs to be subtle enough and well balanced. thanks mate.

Can't work out how though.. any tips? Pva taping a stick on? with rig foam over point of hook? really wanna sort an anti tangle rig out.. gonna try chods and helicopter rig maybe.. But an anti tangle bottom bait rig.. Doesn't have to be too fancy my water aint hard.. rig just needs to be subtle enough and well balanced. thanks mate.

Right forget chods, helicopter rigs etc, just tie a simple knotless knot hair rig out of some coated braid strip off enough for a supple hair. The coated part will stop the rig tangling and to stop the hair from wrapping around the hook take a pva foam nugget and fold it in half over the hair and the shank of the hook. Now nothing can tangle

Fella , he means use a pva nugget wrapped ( or similar ) round the hook to prevent the point tangling ( lick and stick the nugget ) .

The stick method he mentioned is a pva stick threaded through the hook link ( if you use quick links ) and the hook pushed ( carefully ) into the stick mix again preventing tangles if you don't use quick links and tie the mainline end of your hook link onto a swivel then you simply hook the stick onto the hook itself, or though I don't do this myself after having to go and eat humble pie with a mate on the other side of the lake after my stick came off mid cast and just missed him.

Simples......

:wink::lol: