help with the mirrorpool please

soccerbestykqpo

ive been to mirror pool 2 times,it can be very tricky,but your fishing for quality,4 carp 1st trip, 4 carp and a tench 2nd trip,but 8 carp added together averaged just over 41lb,iam not into bait boats but shared my mates on the last trip,this was a massive advantage,that was in may we caught 10 fish between us all on plasic baits,we had the lake booked just for 2 another big advantage,this lake is very clear and suffers from lines in the water, we fished 2 rods each for 90% of the week,can be a challenge but its great i love it . our best 4 fish on the last trip were grssie 35lb 12oz mirrors 49lb 8oz 50lb 8oz 55lb 4oz

thanks for your help.i have booked for 4 mid june.we will probably start off with 1 rod each well back leaded on plastic corn(i assume)we have baitboats to minimise disturbance.i have fished in france for last ten years and have always found sweetcorn an excellant bait.could you reply to a few questions please?what depths are there?what is the lakebed like?is boilies worth bothering with?any poisson chat?do floaters work?can you bivvy up well back from waters edge?would camo net help?can u stalk ok?any snags?all answers and tips will be greatly appreciated.we fished castle lake 1 last august and it was completely different to what we were told.it is nice to have an honest description of a fishery so you can plan your approach.we expect it to be difficult and booked it two years ago so we are really looking forward to the challenge.thanks alan :lol:

if iwas going in june i would spend all my money on maggots we didnt take enough,our best rig was 5 plastic grubs on a cotton hair 2 floating grubs 3 sinking this makes a good balanced rig ,small hook 5oz lead.on my 2 trips all the fish have come from the margins, nothing on open water,i fished 3 days on a good spot with boilies for nothing,i would take 1 kilo just in case ,the main stalking area is the shallow end but with 4 on the lake in non feeding times the carp will show middle of the lake on top, my 1st trip evenings were best 2nd trip monings,i studied their catch book 15 fish for the lake in a week would be good,2007 season averaged 2 50s aweek,make sure your rigs are spot on as they will be checked,wayne the bailif is strict but fair,dont leave rods unatended he enters the lake from different places,the lodge is a bit tatty,but you wont be in there much,proper specimen fishing on this lake,i have a bet some pbs get broken on your week tightlines daryl

One rod each is cutting your chances down a bit. It can be warm in June so may be better to rest the swim during the slow mid afternoon and go down the shop for restocking !.

You can then get your lines out ready for the early evening and night. Dont rule out the zigs the carp like to bask up high in the water towards the far bank, I nicked a couple like this during the day. Either way you will enjoy it it is a great place to be so good luck

I had a little barrel shape bait on as zig bait, I am sure I got them from CC Moore little white pop ups soon as I saw them I thought I know what they will do for ! .

As for bottom bait I rehydrated a B5 with hemp oil and landed a nice 56.2 mirror from the suicide swim just off the stick. I baited for 2 days and then fished it.

As for swims there is the dam then on the near bank the boat house and the suicide and on the far bank the shallows or as it can be called the double gravel.

I have fished the suicide both times , I was lucky in the draw and got the swim I wanted. The view from the Dam and the comfort of that bank make it one of the nicest places to fish you will ever find.

I am going to Millstone for the first time this year, mid June. I dont think you will be disapointed with Mirror Pool.

You can never say you will catch but apart from that it is a cracking little lake.Just one thing to be aware of there is no power supply there to charge any thing up as it may hint from the web site.

So if you have any tips on millstone I am happy to take any advise.

it is excellent,really tranquil.lodge is a little dated but there is all you require cooker,fridge,leccy,bait freezer,pots,pans,good amenities,an old white duck that follows you all about and plenty of karpoos.we are hoping to return soon it is by far the nicest lake we have fished(so far).if you have first pick go for swim 11 (you will see and read why when you get there).you need to find the old river bed that flows to a great drop off at the dam wall.the inlet is at the other end of lake so the drop pulls all natural feed along the old bed.there is a graphic drawing of lake depths to help you.we didnt do very well with b5 .had a few on crab tooty fruity.pop ups do work.always found breakfast time most productive so dont be tempted to rebait to early.you will require a bait boat (much less disturbance than spodding)for loads of sweetcorn THEY LOVE IT.try baiting 3 or 4 areas and alternating 2 rods between them.there is also a brilliant stalking area at shallow end.hope this helps you have a brill time.

In front of the dam is the deepest as you would think ! ,

There is a stream bed up from the shallows so that is deep and it shallows up towards the banks.

Having fished the suicide the far bank tree line went to gravel for a least 10 foot before silt so you can put a bait there and also walk down the far bank and bait up.

There was no power to charge the boat battery up but the cabin had a cooker and warm shower so no problem there. you get a good view up the lake from the lodge , nice view for the morning shower !

thanks for help.have fished millstone a couple of times so if it is half as good we,ll be well happy.by the way i love b5 but the fish in france dont seem so keen on it. :?:

WRONG!!! Not enough anglers try it, that is the problem! As for depths, around 19 feet where the pole left of the suicide swim is, deepest end is at the lodge/dam wall end. My advice would be to fish the beach swim at the other end of the lake, only 1 swim down there and no pressure from any other anglers, though if you are going for a social then not the place to be! Nice lake, hard these days though I haven't been for a few years now! In the 2 trips I went I caught 2 out of the original 50's and a fair few other fish while everybody else struggled, beach swim both times!! Have a good holiday m8!

shallows thats the swim i would fish with 4 on the lake, its got to be rested you dont want to be fishing this swim 24 /7 , your in a situation where you wait all year to fish your big trip of the year, but the tatic in this swim is fish peak times only, and it is quite hard to know what these times are .with out a bait boat no 1 choice would be shallows, with a bait boat suicide, tightlines .

The bait boat made life easier for putting the bait on the money for me, the guy in the Boat House ended up asking me to put out his bait for the evening in the end .

He did say he was not the best with his casting but he was more confident when I put his bait on the far bank with the boat.

You can get by with out one but if you have one why not use it to make life easier.

• 3 months later...

hello all...i will be fishing the mirror pool myself in june.

I was just wondering if you could help.

Im thinking of taking plenty of sweetcorn and maggots with me,right... but also i was going to take hemp and maize!! I know that i says on the web site no particles but just wanted to know if any one else had taken them and had any problems of the bailiff..cheers..

alan dont take any banned baits,wayne the baillif is strict on rules,i personally stuck to the rules 100%,he does turn up from different parts of the lake, maybe to check that people havent left rods unatended etc,first time i went he done a rig check not a problem when your doing nothing wrong,try and do something just a bit different,for example 1st time i went i took 2000 lob worms,this would be a lot better now as most of the perch and rudd seem to have gone,wayne backed that up and hes on there every day?.