spod

ronny12345

Guest Anonymous

what weight are you thinking of spod out,not in total,in what size spod

have a look at the tb spods by fox they come in 2 sizes large one for 5oz fill ups an small for 3oz fill ups,they also come with infills for particales

I picked up a second hand Wychwood Rage or Rogue 4lb tc spod rod (can't remember which) and Maximiser Big Pit filled with 20lb Wychwood Spod braid and 2 spods all for £45. Oh, and a finger stall. This makes a great spodding outfit and will cast any spod easily as far as I can cast even a single hookbait rig.

cheers for all the advice but when i said on the cheap i meant really cheap lol im only 15 and i have only got 60 quid crimbo money to get all my stuff bought for next year and that isnt all for fishing and i dont even know if spodding is any good on the lake that i am a member at so i dont really wanna be spending more than about 15 pound on spodding gear i know i wont get everything i need for that i was just wondering if ther wus any way i could do it on the cheap

Buy a fox stubby spod. these can be cast with any 2lb+ TC carp rod no problem... another way is to you make a small spod about the same size yourself out of plastic tube, polystyrene/foam, glue, amnesia and a swivel... that way its free spodding.

• 2 months later...

If you are fishing braid,no need for a shockleader:confused:

Sorry I disagree with having No Shockleader.

I put a 4metre Length of 30lb Amnesia at the End of the Braid.

Reason being with a Shockleader you have a Margin for Error and some stretch.

If you mistime a Cast with No Shockleader you can cut your finger through to the Bone. If you crack off with just Braid you may well have lost a lot of Braid, but if you have a Crack Off with a shockleader the Chances are it will go at the knot joining the 2 together.

Guest Anonymous

Will have to disagree with you there Nick, I use 45/50 braid straight through and have never had a problem. I do use a golf glove to protect the old finger just incase of an accident.

Berkley make it, it costs around £30 for 300 yds but you can get it for under £20 if u shop around. I don't think it floats.

It does float as do all braids, some do state they sink but this is slightly untrue as all braids suffer trapped air between the fibres. Sinking braids have a higher amount of polyester woven in and this makes them a pig to make a cast of great length.

Jimmy i would use a shock leader even with braid for the reason Nick states. Maybe not 50lb but anything lower than say 30lb However saying that i often clip the spod on the marker set up which is 24lb sabre and had no problems. It could happen though and have seen recently braid snap casting lures.:o :eek:

I also use a tapered mono leader with my marker set up just incase and to help the marker lift in the water. This also means that when i stick the spod on i still have the shocky. Nothing worse than seeing £7 floating off in the ripple :D

... another way is to you make a small spod about the same size yourself out of plastic tube, polystyrene/foam, glue, amnesia and a swivel... that way its free spodding.

I used a 500ml softdrink bottle, cut the bottom out and carved a piece of styrofoam insulation to fit in the small end. I cut the barbs off a big treble hook and pushed the eye through a hole drilled in the bottlecap and screwed it on tight. Tie your line to that. Coathanger wire makes a good bail and an S-hook tied into your line about 18" up completes the set up. You cast it out, the s-hook falls away from the bail, the insulation floats the small end upwards, the bait falls out and it retrieves with the streamlined end forwards. I only have to bait out 40 yds. max so this is adequate. I'm using a yard sale rod and sea reel with about #30 mono. A broken flashlight (torch to you) would make a smaller, more streamlined spod and probably get better distance. This rig works very well and several times I've had anglers come running to see how I was getting all that particle across the river (spodding nearly nonexistant here in the colonies). The tackleshop owner who's been promoting carping here saw my home built spod and at the next tournament there were a bunch being used.