calf heath / shifnal bayliss.

dlc

im a member of calf heath reservoir, im looking to fish the turf pool on the a5, anyone got any ideas of stocking and fish size of either pool? I've not been a member long so dont really know a great deal.

also anyone know much about bayliss pools in shifnal? i have only fished it once, about a month ago, could only tempt bream but there were 6 carp caught on the day by another 2 anglers, i was using mainline fusion bottoms.

cheers

dave.

You joined at wrong time really as you will have to renew in may. But on that pool by the turf i used to catch between 5-10 carp a day. I just used to pick a spot with marker as its all roughly same depth then put a few spods out and fish both over same area. Then i would top up the swim after each fish. Dont know about this time of yeah but if i was to go i recon spodding maggotts would work well :)

You joined at wrong time really as you will have to renew in may. But on that pool by the turf i used to catch between 5-10 carp a day. I just used to pick a spot with marker as its all roughly same depth then put a few spods out and fish both over same area. Then i would top up the swim after each fish. Dont know about this time of yeah but if i was to go i recon spodding maggotts would work well :)
would agree with you on this one paul but it's been froze over for the last 3 weeks and there has only been three fish pulled out in the last 4 months

would agree with you on this one paul but it's been froze over for the last 3 weeks and there has only been three fish pulled out in the last 4 months

4 Months ?

I think not, i had a 12lb and my stepson a couple of smaller fish in mid to late November :wink: I have found Turf pretty tough on the occaisions i've fished it during 2008 and certainly wouldn't class it as an easy water, maybe its down to the angling pressure or the up and down weather but a lot of people on there have commented on how tough its been on there.

Personally i wouldn't even think about spodding thereat the moment, single baits and watching for the showing fish worked for us last time we were there and no one else caught during the couple of sessions we had there in November so we must have done something right.

Tight Lines

4 Months ?

I think not, i had a 12lb and my stepson a couple of smaller fish in mid to late November :wink: I have found Turf pretty tough on the occaisions i've fished it during 2008 and certainly wouldn't class it as an easy water, maybe its down to the angling pressure or the up and down weather but a lot of people on there have commented on how tough its been on there.

Personally i wouldn't even think about spodding thereat the moment, single baits and watching for the showing fish worked for us last time we were there and no one else caught during the couple of sessions we had there in November so we must have done something right.

Tight Lines

The turf is an easy runs water. I,ve been before in summer where nobodys been catching and all you have to do is use your head and do something different and you catch easy. Same as calf heath you can catch at least 5-10 carp in a day if you take enough bait. Trouble with them pools is too many noobs go there that spoil it for others, thats why you dont get many fishing sainsburys pool because they cant catch at all. I was told that a hard water but i found out its not really, you just gotta use watercraft and be quiet and do things different.

Hi Paul

I would agree about calf heath and i've had fish to 17 out of turf but only started there in Sept and its been pretty tough since tbh. The pic in my avatar is from Sainburys pool m8, very tough water and not many in there but thats my PB so the perseverance paid off there

:wink:

Yeah sainsburys is a bit tougher because of the low fish stocks. Everytime ive been to the turf though ive had between 5-10 fish in a day, havent been for a while though. Have you got a large photo of that fish in your avatar? If its a mirror of around 18lb i caught that twice last year lol would be intresting to see it if you dont mind :)

Nah its not the same fish i just seen it in your thread :)

This is the mirror i caught twice at around 18lb 8oz

1010080ex1.jpg

then i caught it again a month later

1010185lc1.jpg

1010186si3.jpg

This is the best common i had there which was 16lb something

1010209zf4.jpg

All the rest was low doubles i think i caught about 15 there in total last year :D

im a member of calf heath reservoir, im looking to fish the turf pool on the a5, anyone got any ideas of stocking and fish size of either pool? I've not been a member long so dont really know a great deal.

also anyone know much about bayliss pools in shifnal? i have only fished it once, about a month ago, could only tempt bream but there were 6 carp caught on the day by another 2 anglers, i was using mainline fusion bottoms.

cheers

dave.

Hiya mate with regards to bayliss me and my mate fished there once last july for a 24 hour session we did quite well with four carp between us.my mate faired better then me with a 20lb 6 oz,15lb 10oz and a 9lb`er i had a 17lb 4oz and was plaged by skimmers we caught them on nash formula one`s and dynamite source all the carp were mirrors,i`ve been told it`s been known to be rat infested but to be fair i did`nt see one i was more racked off with the noise from the m54 did`nt get a lot of sleep :cry::cry:,Del.

• 8 months later...

alrite guys ive fished those pools 4 the last 10 year there both runs waters ive had sum stupidly gud days on there doin 5 or 6 fish in a morning on the turf up to 15lb and calth heath fishes beta in the warmer months due to the size it shuts up shop in winter use bigger baits because there are stacks of bream if not use a double hookbait. get on the point the tins or broken wall thje mini point is a gud bet or peg 65 if i rember rightly in the back bay its a nice open peg have fun

Been fishing the turf a fair bit this year with a friend, biggest ive had out was a 18.5 common. Went down there towards the start of the season and people were saying it had been fishing rubbish and only about 3 fish had came out in a 3 week period all the people moaning about it were using boilies. Went round the back edge with mate had a quick talk about tactics while getting set up then noticed loads of slugs crawling all over the unhooking mat, bait sorted... had 7 out that day between us when it was supposedly fishing ''rubbish''. Since then have tried boilies/pellets a few times and not had anything but the odd bream and 1 tench off em wheras slugs/worms/catmeat and the odd medusa have accounted for 100% of my carp catches there.

I have had hard days down there where i couldnt even get a twitch/linebite anything but then had other days where the actions been very good.

Got a map drew out of it with the features and where i've had all the fish i can remember from, i'll upload it later if anyones bothered.

Oh and has anyone else notice how daft a big chunk of the fish are in there? I'd say half the carp i catch pick up the rig then just swim straight into you put up a little fight then just swim into the net, and dont get me started on the bream ive had countless ones eat my catmeat show 1 twitch on the tip so i think ive missed the bite sit there for 40mins doing nothing then float across the top like a bit of wood into the net when i reel in to rebait.