River teme, carp, barbel!!

mb123

I fished it about 20 years ago! What a beautiful river.I only ever fished the river at Broadwas and caught a few Barbel upto about 5lb but lost a much bigger fish.Same as any river mate outside of bends, gravel runs interspersed with streamer weed.I scored on hemp/caster/sweetcorn.Possibly worth giving boilies and pellets a crack.Dont forget the polaroids as well in summer.

A lovely river and good luck I bet the Barbel in there are much bigger now.Tight lines :D

I fished on a BAA ticket for many years before moving down to Devon.

It is a bargain at around 25 pounds, that was the cost of the last one I brought one, would guess it is still about the same. It is just great value giving you access to so many venues. The Teme ranks with the best Barbel waters in the country, I found the best way to fish it was to take the minimium of tackle and move from swim to swim to find where the barbel were.

My other favourite venue was for the carp at Uckinghall where I fished a lot with good results and would recommend giving it a go. Two tips with Uckinghall are 1. Check the river Severn is not in flood before you go as the lake floods as well. 2. Fish the margins!! While fishing here almost all my fish came from the margins with only a few from open water. There is even the bonus at Uckinghall of having a stretch of the Severn right next to the lakes also on the BAA ticket with some nice Barbel in it.

Makes me wish I was still in the Midlands!! I am now trying to sort out the lakes down here around Plymouth in Devon, anyone with any advice on the that subject I would be glad to hear from.

Cheers

Alan

Alan, welcome to the forum, I hope that you enjoy our company. I wish you well in your search for suitable waters in your recently adopted homeground. I feel sure that, if you ask appropriate questions, you'll get suitable answers.

The current year ticket for BAA is £30-00 and remains a bargain. Strange that you should mention Uckinghall, I'm determined to give the place(s) a go in the coming year.

Best regards,

Ian

Hi Ian

Thanks for the welcome to the forum, I am just starting to wade through the posts as I am sure there is a load of interesting info to be found. I would recommend giving Uckinghall a go if you get the chance I have always done okay there for the carp although if you like the odd tench there are some nice ones to be had. If I were fishing there for the first time I would fish one of the swims on the far bank on the opposite side from the carpark, take your wellies if it is the winter as it gets a bit muddy. First choice of swims would be near the big single house in the corner of the lake, here you will find a couple of pegs with platforms situated between trees that hang into the lake, sorry can't remember the pegs numbers! Fish tight into the overhanging branches but keep close to your rods as the carp will try to get there heads into the snags.

Bait wise I have found bollies with a spicy flavour seem to have the edge but it is not too critical. I have also found that loose feeding small betaine pellets seems to work well, it will attract the tench and odd big bream but the feeding seems to attract the carp to have look as well.

The only other thing I can think of is to check on the BAA website for when there are matches on as it can get busy and a bit noisy!

Hope these pointers help a bit if you give Uckinghall a try.

Cheers

Alan