river rig for carp

nottscarper02

I guess it all depends on the swim you find yourself in. :wink:

The only times that i've fished a river is when i've been up the Trent. I tend to use BIG leads ( 6 0z + ) to hold bottom and have the rod tips high to keep the line out of the water to prevent the drag moving the lead around. Due to having the lines high and bow string tight i tend to use quite long hook lengths , normally 3+ ft long , so that the only line in the vicinity of the bait is the actual hook length itself and not the mainline . Although saying that i caught my PB Barbel on a standard 6 inch coated braid rig when the river was in flood.

My advice would be to just go for a simple knot less knot set up and vary the hook length if you are getting line bites / knocks.

Like i say, i only have experience of the Trent which is a bit of an animal when it's in flood. If you were on a slower, less powerful river you might be able to backlead, use shorter rigs ....... etc'. The best thing is to just try different things and see what works for you . Personally i would keep it simple as, IMO, they won't be that " riggy " :D

Good luck. 8)

which river are you fishing, if it has a decent flow on it, little tip for you,

tie knots in a bit of rope place it in a big ice cream tub allow the end to come out of the top of tub fill with hemp and freeze. tie to a length of rope long enough to range of the distance your fishing chuck it out 20 foot up stream of your choosen spot. steady flow of hemp down to your swim for a good few hours can also add a few of the chosen bait your using to the freeze as well.