Korum Ready Made Hair Rig

matthewsmith

Hi, just returned from a days fishing where i had the misfortune of using a pack of 2 Korum mono hair rigs, only just started to carp fish and still a little unsure of using my sometimes untidy home made hair rigs, anyway i brought these in a size 10 tied to 8lb line which in turn was attached to 12lb main line and found them very neat and tidy and well made (so i thought), 1st run i hooked into the fish played it for about 20 seconds when the line snapped just under the top swivel connecting to my main line leaving the fish with the eight inch hook link minus the swivel ! 2nd run, again played the fish for about 10 seconds when the line snapped just above the hook ! how angry was i !! no real point to this post other than wanting to know if anyone has had problems with Korum hook links ? Thanks Matt :oops::oops:

8lb is light, but will land alot of fish. My recent river baby...err...carp was caught on Korda 10lb main line ( nice line I might add, though I read the 10lb breaks at a nip over 12lb bs).

Anyways, it maybe that they arent wetting the knots before pulling them tight, it would certainly appear that way to me!

Learn to tie your own. Use a palomar knot for swivels, and knotless knot for your hooks. Really simple to tie. And Ive been in some big hefts sea fishing with 20lb main line and 60lb shock leader. The palomar is as tough as they come and my chosen knot for swivels and hooks where a hair is not needed.

I bought a pack of korum quick stop hair rigs and they were pants-the plastic stop kept bending and then broke and also the hairs snapped after a few hours,better to make your own-or if like me-talk your husband into making them!! lol

Those Korum quickstops are, I think, designed with the match man in mind so that they can change or re-bait at speed. Most of the time when carp fishing you are not against the clock :wink:

In the case of 8lb line not being up to the job - that depends on the quality of the line in the first place. As Kev has mentioned, big fish can be landed on low breaking strain line. Infact if you ask a lot of people what line they use in the winter you may find a lot drop down to around 10lb (if safe to do so) to fine down there approch :wink:

Basil was landed at over 40lb on 6lb line.

You've probably now discovered why it is better to tie your own rigs. If its anyones fault then if you lose a fish it is only your own.

There are a fair number of threads on questions about tying your own rigs or whether to buy Ready Made, and my answer is always the same. Buy one to learn, then make them yourself.

You cannot change what you have with a Ready Tied, except shorten it. Yet how you fish you may need to lengthen the rig or hair yourself, so by being able to tie your own you can adapt what you are doing.