Carp Fishing - Lichfield, Cannock, Walsall Areas - Newbee

Hi,

After several years coarse fishing on many of the rivers and canals in ther midlands me and my old man have decided its time to start Carp Fishing. We've done our research, brought the right gear but we are struggling to find a few places to break our "Carping virginity" :)

To get started we want to fish somewhere nice and simple but with good sport and hopefully a catch or two.

Hope you guys can help?

Thanks in advance

if you just want to catch a few try fisherwick match lake they go upto probably 15lb maybe bigger but the average is about 5lb or so. Then if you feel you want more of a challenge you could move onto the specimen lake where they go upto about 25lb and the smallest is about 10lb.

Or you could join blackfords water which is 15 quid a year per rod upto 2 rods max. For that you get a lake at calf heath a pool the back of sainsburys cannock orbital and a pool by the turf island all with carp in.

Theres another few pools on the way to penkridge from cannock and i think its called piliton pools. Ive only been there once when it first opened to have a look so i cant tell u much about it but its got carp in :)

Also theres curborough just off easten avenue in lichfield which has a specimen lake but again ive not fished it.

Also another pool by the four keys pub on the a5 by greasy lils. if your coming from cannock turn left just before the pub then left again and its just down the lane on the left. Its only a small pool but its got carp in :)

i cant think of anymore off the top of my head without going further afield. But il add them as i think of them.

Cheers Paul,

Blackfords seem ok, I've seen the pool behind sainsburys and also the one by the turf on the A5 but where about is the pool at Calf Heath? Do you know how you go out becoming a member?

I havent fished Fisherwicks before but I have fished Hamstall Pleasure Fishery in Hamstall Ridware - just outside Lichfield. Good venue but from recent visits (not fishing just talking to the other anglers) there are not many carp showing......

Cheers Paul,

Blackfords seem ok, I've seen the pool behind sainsburys and also the one by the turf on the A5 but where about is the pool at Calf Heath? Do you know how you go out becoming a member?

I havent fished Fisherwicks before but I have fished Hamstall Pleasure Fishery in Hamstall Ridware - just outside Lichfield. Good venue but from recent visits (not fishing just talking to the other anglers) there are not many carp showing......

Go along the a5 past greasy lils cafe then its the very last left hand turning before the m6 island( i think its signposted calf heath,watch the turn its quite sharp :wink: ). Then just as you pass over the m6 you will see a right hand turn which is signposted something sailing club. Go down there and the lake is on the left hand side.Its quite big id say about 12 acres or so maybe bigger but its rammed with fish. Think just under 30 is biggest thats ever came out. Heres a link to it so u can get an idea where it is roughly http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=cannock&ie=UTF8&ll=52.688298,-2.106092&spn=0.006022,0.01266&t=h&z=16&iwloc=addr

Cheers mate, will be checking out a few of these venues on Thursday, maybe ready to fish beginning part of next week......

Hope "Teds Dog Biscuit" isn't a euphemism for something else :D:D:D

nah lol :) its just something he tells everyone about. He normally pulls it out of his door pocket of his car. If you dont mind float fishing for carp theres coppice lane in hammerwich and also the ones by pipehill traffic lights.

There another lake in norton too just off washbrook lane. I think its 60 quid a year and thats got double figure carp in from what ive heard.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=norton+canes&ie=UTF8&ll=52.672105,-1.989507&spn=0.001532,0.003433&t=h&z=18

Will be checking these out to, where about is the Curborough specimin pool in Lichfield, I know where Stowe Pool is but not to sure where Curborough is located?

Its one of these here http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=lichfield&ie=UTF8&ll=52.703883,-1.813474&spn=0.003049,0.006866&t=h&z=17

Ive only been and had a look ages ago when they 1st opened. so im not sure which lake it is i just know theres a specimen lake there. :D

edit

i think its the last one without any islands. they dont look very nice to be honest, just holes in the ground.

Sorry mate, I have also heard of a fishery called Pretty Pigs? Have you fished there before?

used to be good mate now crammed with weed and snags impossible to fish,

Curborough is in watery lane mate

impossible to fish :lol::lol::lol: i dont think so mate :wink:

if you just want to catch a few try fisherwick match lake they go upto probably 15lb

Hahahahahahahaha have you been there recently?? i was there about 3 weeks ago with my Brother-in-law and only had one carp out all day :roll::roll: what makes it worse was that the whole day only produced 2 skimmers and the one carp, all the regulars there said its been going down hill for the last couple of years and that blanking on the MATCH lake was becoming common, its put me of for life :( the real sad thing is we went to Wychnor the following day and had plenty of carp upto 11lb, notmassive but if your only wanting to catch (rolls reversed id say Wychnor, another good thing was to see all the fish clean and looking good again, p.s the bigger fish from Wychnor come of the top (no matter the weather get them going on doggies and bread) :wink::oops::?:roll::(

if you just want to catch a few try fisherwick match lake they go upto probably 15lb

Hahahahahahahaha have you been there recently?? i was there about 3 weeks ago with my Brother-in-law and only had one carp out all day :roll::roll: what makes it worse was that the whole day only produced 2 skimmers and the one carp, all the regulars there said its been going down hill for the last couple of years and that blanking on the MATCH lake was becoming common, its put me of for life :( the real sad thing is we went to Wychnor the following day and had plenty of carp upto 11lb, notmassive but if your only wanting to catch (rolls reversed id say Wychnor, another good thing was to see all the fish clean and looking good again, p.s the bigger fish from Wychnor come of the top (no matter the weather get them going on doggies and bread) :wink::oops::?:roll::(

I havent been for about 2-3 years and used to bag up. What has happened to them all then? have they all died? shame if they have because it wasnt a bad fishery really.

Hi all

Is anyone on here a member of blackfords and fishes any of there waters ?

Iggy

Hi Iggy,

Well after careful deliberation and after reading through the thread (which I started) I joined Blackfords last week. I fished their new pool - the one by the side of the toll road, can't think of its name and caught plenty of fish. Mainly small roach and bream, a couple of nice bream up to about 4lb and 2 pike at about 8 and 9lb but no Carp I'm afraid. Spoke to a few of the lads fishing down their but none off them were catching big just lots of small bits - good sport though.

I visited Calf Heath today, 2 guys fishing for carp I spoke to hadn't caught but had a couple of good takes/ runs all the rest had caught descent perch, bream etc...

I'm fishing the pool at the back of Sainsburys tomorrow with my brother (both now members of Blackfords). I will be after the carp and my bro will be swim feeding/ waggler fishing for the big perch and tench the pool is famous for. Hopefully have a good day if this bloody rain stops :lol:

Hi all

Is anyone on here a member of blackfords and fishes any of there waters ?

Iggy

Hi Iggy,

Well after careful deliberation and after reading through the thread (which I started) I joined Blackfords last week. I fished their new pool - the one by the side of the toll road, can't think of its name and caught plenty of fish. Mainly small roach and bream, a couple of nice bream up to about 4lb and 2 pike at about 8 and 9lb but no Carp I'm afraid. Spoke to a few of the lads fishing down their but none off them were catching big just lots of small bits - good sport though.

I visited Calf Heath today, 2 guys fishing for carp I spoke to hadn't caught but had a couple of good takes/ runs all the rest had caught descent perch, bream etc...

I'm fishing the pool at the back of Sainsburys tomorrow with my brother (both now members of Blackfords). I will be after the carp and my bro will be swim feeding/ waggler fishing for the big perch and tench the pool is famous for. Hopefully have a good day if this bloody rain stops :lol:

The new pool hasnt got many carp in it. I think its just got big ones that have been in there years. Full of bream,roach and tench though. At calf heath the best thing to do is spod a load of particles and fish over the top of it. And sainsburys hasnt got and tench in it, maybe the odd 1 if your very lucky. Speak to tom the baliff if he comes round, he will tell you theres only roach,pike and carp :). If you want to bag up just goto the turf and use same tactics as calf heath :)

Hi Villan and all

I have now joined Blackfords but not yet had a proper session, did pop last night and about 7.00pm and managed a nice 11.5lb common on freelined mixers which i was quite pleased with in a very short amount of time.

Iggy

Hi Villan

More or less opposite the boats for the one of the surface but stepson fished monday further round towards the corner on the same bank and he had 2 x 10's an 8 and a 13.5 which had a bit of a hump lol. When you do go look to the margins towards evening as they seem to move in close then.

Iggy