D Rig Advice Plz

richard27

whatever you like. i use the 'd' ring set up on my pop ups only. my hooklink is either bristle filament or ghost fluro by ESP. i fish it between 6-8'' finged stifflink style. leadwise, you can use an inline or pendant style, your preference. why have you chosen this rig over a simple hair rig?

:roll:

cheers for the advice.

I choose this rig as heard alot and read alot about it and thought it would work better that a simple hair rig for pop ups.

I am fishing Linear in the next couple of weeks and have been told that pop ups work well there, I have in the past used a hair rig and striped some of the coating back with just a shot above the hook but have never caught using it so have not got alot of confidence in it

my advice is not to overcomplicate matters, my pop up rig on rods are simple silkworm hooklinks with putty to sink it. just stick with what your confident with mate, that will make life easier. concentrate on locating the fish and presenting a bait to them. use what YOU have confidence in. the D rig is good yeah, look at the pellet rig thread and there is a drawing of one, (swimmer rig) just go with what you know!

cheers for the advice.

I choose this rig as heard alot and read alot about it and thought it would work better that a simple hair rig for pop ups.

I am fishing Linear in the next couple of weeks and have been told that pop ups work well there, I have in the past used a hair rig and striped some of the coating back with just a shot above the hook but have never caught using it so have not got alot of confidence in it

Was the reason you didn't catch the actual rig or could it have been the bait or even that there was no carp in the area :wink:

Thanks mate I will take a look at that. I do like to keep my rigs as simple as possible myself when fishing on the bottom but as I have never really explored pop ups too much in the past I thought this rig might be a good one to go with.

Hopefully whatever I decide it puts em on the bank!

Cheers for your advice

you need to start with what you know to begin with, once your there, you can speak to the baillif for advice, see what the other sucessful anglers are doing and follow suit. but remember, your rigs work everywhere else? so why be in a rush to change? :)

That makes sense to me!

If you do decide that you need a D-rig, there is a pic in the Rig Tying Sticky:

https://forum.carp.com/carp-forum/viewtopic.php?t=22185

Probably tied with a Coated Braid and I think from memory I have weighted it down with Wire around the hooklink.

If you basic Pop-up rigs are working then stik with them. The most basic Pop-up rig is a Hair attached to a hook ( :?:roll::wink:8) ) with a loop at the end. If you are happy piercing the pop-ups then this still works, if you prefer to tie the bait on (as I do, ) then a Uni Knot at the hook end of the hooklink material to create a loop, stick a pop-up in the loop and pull tight. Then attach the hook Knotless knot style.

You can use whatever hooklength material you are comfortable with. Just use a power gum stop knot to attach any putty to to get your pop-up height (I prefer using power gum to having a shot on the line in case the shot weakens it), or even attach the putty round the Hookeye.

I use a D rig for my pop-ups if they need to be more than 1 1/2 inches off the deck. Anything that is popped up lower than that, I use a rig that is similar to the 'KD' rig that all the Korda boys keep plugging. The reason for this is so the hook is either flat on the lakebed or hovering neatly under the bait with the point clear. I don't want the point of the hook bouncing around on the lakebed especially if fishing over gravel.

The reason I don’t use a D rig for a bottom bait is mainly due to the fact that my simple knotless knot rig (no shrink tube or aligner as I use a curved hook :wink: ) works perfectly fine.

If I did feel the need to change over then I feel there are better rigs for presenting a bottom bait than a D rig.

on a d rig is there any need for putty or split shot? I am asking because i just watched on the total carp website John Bones tying his d rig and he usually mentions where he puts shots or putty but this time he doesnt. Also is using a d rig on a chod rig good i saw something like it by nick helleur just trying to clarify.

on a d rig is there any need for putty or split shot? I am asking because i just watched on the total carp website John Bones tying his d rig and he usually mentions where he puts shots or putty but this time he doesnt. Also is using a d rig on a chod rig good i saw something like it by nick helleur just trying to clarify.

All depends on how buoyant the hook bait is. The more buoyant the more likely the need for a counter weight, be that a split shot or putty etc.

If using the silt rig then you wouldn't have any need to put a shot on the hook link :wink: