rigs or bait presentations?

steve50

Hello all,

I recently read an article by Kenny Dorset (the inventor of the 'Kd rig') on rigs and bait presentations. Basically, Kenny believes that if he is on the fish and doesn't get picks ups, he should change the bait presentation before the rig/hooklink, for example adding some bouyancy to the bait or changing its shape. I found this very interesting, he really believes that often it is the bait itself that is effecting pick ups and not the rig. Thinking back to a couple of years ago, i used to fish a busy day ticket water where the carp were pressured everyday. I used what the mags would describe as a bog standard rig, this is because i fished stiff iq, short in length, with a line-aligner presentation on the hook, i also made sure the shrink tubing was very agressively bent round, in hindsight this rig looked awful and when i look back i don't know how i caught fish, but i did. The bait i used on the day was a boilie tipped with a piece of yellow plastic corn, i was on the fish but couldn't get a pick up, instead of changing rigs i remember seeing a bright pink object shining in my tackle bag, it was a fluoro pink bit of corn, the same as the yellow. I cast this out and within 20 minutes i had a carp on the bank from the same area. Was this just a coincidence, had i hit a feeding spell?, or does this go to some way in proving Kenny's theory correct? i know it is hardly conclusive, but it's very interesting. What are your thoughts, do you agree with kenny or would you change your rig before your bait presentation?.

Thanks, steve.

I cant see how changing the colour of your fake corn from yellow to pink made one jot of difference to you catching TBH. There are to many variables for anyone catching or not and here is a couple i can think of off the top of my head.....

1. You may have been on the fish but your end tackle maybe wasnt sitting right. After you changed the fake corn and given it a recast, your end tackle and baited hook may have been sitting perfectly for a carp to get nailed straight away as soon as he picked it up.

Or.....

2. Your bait with the yellow corn may have been "sussed" and left well alone.

One thing i will say though and this is just my opinion. There is absolutely no need to use a line aligner with shrink tube with IQ hooklengths. The stiffness of the hooklink naturally ensures a "line aligner" effect anyway :wink:

thanks for the reply tony, i had considered those factors, but really i was looking for an answer to kennys theory, i was just trying to include some of my own fishing situations to make it more interesting and, i was trying to emphasise the poor rig, i now know that using shrink tube on stiff iq isn't a great idea and probably makes the rig less effective. I was trying to make an argument for kennys theory because my rig was poor, yet 'perhaps' and i say that loosely, perhaps it was a change of bait that brought a result, but i am well aware of the variables involved. :wink: .

If I knew that my rig was effective on the water I was fishing, I would consider changing my bait (size, shape or the bait itself etc) before my rig.

I did 3 nights last week with only one fish from the first 2 nights. I was getting a few false indications / aborted pick-ups. I changed to an 18mm bait from the 14mm I had been fishing (was baiting with both sizes along with chops) and had 6 fish during the last night. The first coming just 10 minutes after changing bait size. I knew the fish were over my spots as they had been crashing almost constantly through all 3 nights over my bait.

so nige, your saying you would consider changing your bait presentation i.e the shape/colour/type of bait before your rig?.

I think anyone would, i know i do. It could be something so simple as a change in the hair or hooklink length that can turn a pick up into a positive take. I wouldnt go as far as to totally change the bait because i will be using a food source bait and alternative hookbaits over 3 rods which i have confidence in using anyway. But like Nigel rightly said, if you have total confidence in your rigs (and i do believe the more simple and less obtrusive they are the better), then there is no need to pull out a rig from your tackle box with all the whistles and bells attached to it that the monthly comics have tried to brainwash you into using cos "Mr Superstar Carper X" uses the same.

Doing something so extreme as that will only hinder your chances further and you will end up fishing like a numpty :wink:

Hello all,

I recently read an article by Kenny Dorset (the inventor of the 'Kd rig') on rigs and bait presentations. Basically, Kenny believes that if he is on the fish and doesn't get picks ups, he should change the bait presentation before the rig/hooklink, for example adding some bouyancy to the bait or changing its shape. I found this very interesting, he really believes that often it is the bait itself that is effecting pick ups and not the rig. Thinking back to a couple of years ago, i used to fish a busy day ticket water where the carp were pressured everyday. I used what the mags would describe as a bog standard rig, this is because i fished stiff iq, short in length, with a line-aligner presentation on the hook, i also made sure the shrink tubing was very agressively bent round, in hindsight this rig looked awful and when i look back i don't know how i caught fish, but i did. The bait i used on the day was a boilie tipped with a piece of yellow plastic corn, i was on the fish but couldn't get a pick up, instead of changing rigs i remember seeing a bright pink object shining in my tackle bag, it was a fluoro pink bit of corn, the same as the yellow. I cast this out and within 20 minutes i had a carp on the bank from the same area. Was this just a coincidence, had i hit a feeding spell?, or does this go to some way in proving Kenny's theory correct? i know it is hardly conclusive, but it's very interesting. What are your thoughts, do you agree with kenny or would you change your rig before your bait presentation?.

Thanks, steve.

The bait presentation covers plenty of options, whether you are fishing over pellets, particles, boilies or a single hookbait.

In that little lot you can change your hookbait and how it is offered very easily, PVA Bags, stringers, spod loads of bait out, orput your boilies in groundbait.

Far better to get the Carp eating the bait comfortably whatever the presentation than changing rigs just because you have been sussed on what you are currently doing.

in this day and age with every tackle manufacturer under the sun firing out new and more fancy rigs, it is very easy to start to lose confidence in your presentation. what i do is remember that the manufacturers are relying on you buying their product, so i tend to take their new wonder rigs with a large pinch of salt. i prefer to pay attention to location, finding the feeding fish, i pay more attention to using good high quality baits, fished in the correct areas, as for rigs, i dont want the newest superduper carpcatcher3000wonder-rig, i want the nice simple rigs i have confidence. thats why on my rods right now there are simple silkworm hooklinks with a bit of shrinktube to flip the hook. i want to know where the carp are, i want to feed them a good quality bait that they will grow to love to the point they are actively feeding on it, then when they do suck in my hookbait, i have every confidence that my size 10 ESP longshank will flip over and nail them. and my catch rate is as such i'm totally happy with my presentations, when my catch rate suffers, then i will happily re evaluate my rigs based on my own past exeriences. :)

:roll: