bolting ???

beanz

i was wondering if the bolt rig was named the bolt rig because it originally used a bolt ,im sure iv read this or been told it .

but i read alot nowadays that makes me think its to do with bolting off

but all fish do this on all rigs :confused:

so which is it ?

as a bolt tied on the line is the original death rig ,isnt it ??

Bolt Rig: To Bolt, as in to run away in panic.

Yes, somebody has tried a Bolt on the line as a weight, but for a slightly different reason. Tied on with light line, in weedy or snaggy waters, to prevent the losing of 'expensive' leads.:wink: ;)

the original hair rig was tied with a real hair (one of Lennie Middletons wifes if i remember rightly, correct me if i'm wrong) so who knows perhaps a bolt was used in the original bolt rig:)

who am i tryin to kid, nicks right, its bolt as in RUN AWAY lol

lol

The Bolt Rig was originally fished Minus the Hair Rig I think. It predated it by a couple of years(?)

As for the Hair Rig I thought it was Brenda Maddocks who supplied the original hair, but Patos could be right.

The idea of the Bolt Rig as its name suggests was to make the Fish Panic and give proper runs. Unfortunately at the time, fishing had got very difficult as the fish would just sit and twitch the indicators (sound Familiar), so a New rig was required that would go back to Screaming Runs.:wink::D :D

lol

The Bolt Rig was originally fished Minus the Hair Rig I think. It predated it by a couple of years(?)

As for the Hair Rig I thought it was Brenda Maddocks who supplied the original hair, but Patos could be right.

think you might be right nick, its been years since i read carp fever (my copy has long since vanished) i can remember kevin writing that they used a 'long dark hair' (good job it wasnt curly!!) and seem to remember it was Lennies wife but i'm probably wrong, it wont be the first time.

they started side-hooking boilies before the hair instead of having the hook buried and the point obscured. this has the same effect as the hair ie. the hook point is exposed therefore theres more chance of it pricking a fish.

love all this history stuff, i'm off to ebay now to look for a copy of said book:)

Nick

just received a copy of 'carp fever' i got from ebay. it cost me £5.20 inc. p+p BARGAIN, and is in almost new condition.

i stand corrected, it was Kevs wife who supplied the hair for the first hair rig and not Len Middleton's.

great book though and i'm as hooked (no pun intended) as i was when i first read it. have also got a copy of chris balls book 'king carp waters' on its way and am looking for a copy of tel's.:D

Nick

just received a copy of 'carp fever' i got from ebay. it cost me £5.20 inc. p+p BARGAIN, and is in almost new condition.

i stand corrected, it was Kevs wife who supplied the hair for the first hair rig and not Len Middleton's.

great book though and i'm as hooked (no pun intended) as i was when i first read it. have also got a copy of chris balls book 'king carp waters' on its way and am looking for a copy of tel's.:D

Nice price, glad I wasn't here this week, or I would have been bidding against you. lol:D

If you get In Pursuit of The Largest, be careful, as there are some "dodgy" copies about, that have half a chapter repeated and 1 missed out altogether..

read something years ago where Kevin was talking about the development of the hair rig. they were testing the rig in a tank at Lennies house with some small carp. it was this article that mentioned the 'long dark hair' and i was certain it was in Carp Fever. after receiving my copy yesterday and looking for said story its not there:confused:

anyone any ideas as to where this was written.

The bolt rig gets it`s name from having the Bolt EFFECT and the original hairs for the hair rig came from Kevin Maddocks wife,it`s all in Carp Fever,still got my original first edition,alongside my original first edition of Phil Thompsons book aswell and no Chris I`m still not selling it!:D :D lol:D

Waiting For Waddle? Can I mug you for it? lol

I have read about the Tank Tests but I can't remember where I read it. I did think it was in Carp Fever, but now you've got me if you can't find it.

I can remember all the theory behind the tests about how they would hook the fish on a standard hook rig and then watch the fish come on suck from a greater distance. I have a feeling there is a bit in Hutchy's "The Carp Strikes Back" with some of his tests as well.

Waiting For Waddle? Can I mug you for it? lol

I have read about the Tank Tests but I can't remember where I read it. I did think it was in Carp Fever, but now you've got me if you can't find it.

I can remember all the theory behind the tests about how they would hook the fish on a standard hook rig and then watch the fish come on suck from a greater distance. I have a feeling there is a bit in Hutchy's "The Carp Strikes Back" with some of his tests as well.

Waiting For Waddle yeh that`s the one and No you can`t!! lol

The tank test is in Carp Fever on pages 115/116.

Oh Well got to try. :wink:

If anyone finds a copy of Carp Fever with my name (N. Gordon) in the front flysheet let me know I had my copy stolen with all my other Tackle about 3 years ago.

Yeh!:rolleyes: :rolleyes: I know it`s an old book but I remember when it came out all the secret squirrel went mad,well on my waters anyway,but all of us beginners at the time loved it coz it blew the lid off it all,and some of those bait recipes that are in there I reckon would still be good today.