pop ups versus weight.

msdt

Hi all. Just a quick simple question. How bouyant are pop up boilies (say 15mm) compeared to how much weight is needed to keep them on the bottom. Would a single swan shot do the job or would i need more than that.

Cheers, Mark

Depends on how you want your pop-up as well, so Carperp1's point about testing in the margins is spot on.

Sometimes I want the Pop-up nailed to the Lakebed, or at whatever distance I want to fish it, so it is over-weighted. Yet at other times I want a bait that is able to be sucked in more easily with minimum weight (critically balanced)

Because of the different types of presentation, if I want an "in 'yer face" I have a Combi-rig set-up, normally about 5cms above the bottom, if I want a bait that is only just above the bottom I use a standard rig, but thread on an olivette when I make them, or get the olivettes that are held on with a piece of silicone at either end if I want to change with the standard rig I have on.

I don't like putting shot on the hooklink, I worry that squeezing the shot on will damage the hooklink.

For Pop-up weights I tend to use Olivettes if I fish them on a standard rig, and add putty to add extra weight if they are underweighted, or put putty around a stop knot.

If I use a Combi-rig, Braid to a length of Amnesia or other stiff boom section, then its putty over the knot.

I would imagine a single swan shot would be enough......But, surely you do this sort of thing at the lake when you get there set up and just test it in the margins.

:wink:

If you want to critically balance youe hook bait a single swan shot might be too heavy!

I'm very new to carp fishing so all the technical jargon is a bit above me at the moment.

Most of the places i have been to look at have deep margins which would be difficult to see your rig let alone judge how it is sitting on the bottom. I guess a good way would be to test a rig in the sink at home. Thanks for you replys .

Mark

I'm very new to carp fishing so all the technical jargon is a bit above me at the moment.

Most of the places i have been to look at have deep margins which would be difficult to see your rig let alone judge how it is sitting on the bottom. I guess a good way would be to test a rig in the sink at home. Thanks for you replys .

Mark

I assume you take a bucket of some sort with you, then fill with lake/river water? To keep any fish wet whilst on the mat :wink:

Drop your rig in there :wink:

I ran out of putty yesterday whilst out and I only had a dispenser of shot to balance the bait.

I also don’t like the idea of a shot on the link (although have done it in the past). A bit of improvisation and a stop knot was tied onto the link with the shot squeezed onto one of the tag ends tight to the link. I then trimmed the tag ends down and coloured in the visible knot.

I must admit though that I have been playing around with my fake corn rigs and really like having the hair coming off the top of the shank with a shot placed on the hair at desired height. This allows the hook to still sit flat to the bottom whilst using a popped up bait. I saw it being used on what I think was Thinking Tackle 2 on Sky Sports early on in the year. It was the only rig that caught out of 5 runs this weekend, the others being more traditional :?:roll: pop-up rigs. I know that there would have been more variables but I think I have a presentation that I will be happy using on the new water.