Hair length

onedaya30

Since I originally posted this question I have changed my hooks to Nash Fang X's and I seem to have increased my runs and the number of fish I hook, whilst I have reduced the number of lost fish :D .

As for the hair everyone's advice (nearly) gave me food for thought so now I tie em at the waterside and play around with the hairlength and the angle and point it leaves the hook. :idea::D

I have also switched back to supple rather tha coated braid which on the runs waters that I am fishing in preparation for the season ahead seems to confuse them; i think that the combi link has become the default rig and is the one that most people instantly use-I know I was starting to be guilty of this. :shock:

I also changed from a bolt rig to a running rig but with a big bead fixed on the tubing about 2 feet from the swivel; to give the fish a jolt once they were running confidently, which also seems to have improved the quality of my runs.

As you can see I have been making 1 change at a time until I am getting the desired result, which I think goes to prove that we should adjust then test, then consider, then adjust again until we have what we want.

Advice is useful, but experimentation (Ibelieve) and time on the bvank can never be replaced.

Thanks everyone, as I said at the start it just proves that 'There is no one answer' :D:D:wink::lol:

I also changed from a bolt rig to a running rig but with a big bead fixed on the tubing about 2 feet from the swivel; to give the fish a jolt once they were running confidently, which also seems to have improved the quality of my runs.

got to admit mate, that sounds an aweful lot like a death rig unless there's some other detail that you've omitted

Not sure why it would be a death rig :shock: , as if there was a snap off the swivel will pull free from the run rig rubber by korda.

All I am using is a classic running rig with a bead pushed onto the tubing-the bead is not fixexed in any way so on any abrasion it will slip free- it is just there to give the fish a jolt. I do not glue or fix the bead in any way :!::!:

have a look at the word I highlighted in bold in my first reply... take yourself out of your own head, put yourself in an observers and re-read the post.. it states the bead is fixed to the tubing and now you clarified it isn't, so sounds like there's not an issue

p.s. have purposely not reciprocated with exclamation marks mate... calm down, it was only a clarification question on what seemed to be an issue

got to admit mate, that sounds an aweful lot like a death rig unless there's some other detail that you've omitted

i don't think is a death rig, i think is the-now famous- "Shocker Rig",don't you, guys?

i don't think is a death rig, i think is the-now famous- "Shocker Rig",don't you, guys?

have just posted I dont think there's an issue after 1daya30 clarified what he meant by fixing a bead to the tubing. end of from my perspective

Gap- where abouts in mk do you fish mate? havent seen you round lol

did a couple of years on the Beacon, then Newport Pits (Sherrington) and then Ectons but now fish Great Linford syndicate and MKAA waters with some of the local lads.... you're from round these parts too mate?

• 9 months later...
what should the distance be between the bend of the hook and the bait ive been fishing with a 10mm gap but im not getting a good hooking when i strike and i lose alot of fish :(:cry: .

any help welcome :D:):wink:

Adjust it then?

I usually have a gap of around 10mm give or take a few mm's and don't have many problems with my hookhold.

I'd suggest try some rigs with a 5mm and 15mm gap to see if that makes a difference. Carp feed differently in different lakes so what works in one lake may not work in another.