chum mixer presentation

aliali

Afternoon lads and maybe lasses,

How do you guys present chum mixers when surface fishing. I wasnt to get the hook to be on top of the mixer rather than beneath it as im sure this is why im spooking fish?

I currently superglue the baits onto the hook and tried a method of counterbalancing the bait by glueing a shot on the other side of the mixer but this just keeps on sinking the bait. Any ideas?views? opinion?

Cheers

Mike

Guest Anonymous

Don't use a chum mixer as hookbait!

Hair rig a pop up boilie tight to the hook, Dynamite Baits Tigernut's are good, I use my own rolled meat flavour popups and cut them down a little bit to make them squarer.

I then add a small piece of lead wire into the bottom so that the hook is always uppermost, works well enough had 7 out the other day whilst others were struggling.

They will stay bouyant longer than a chum as well and won't be broken down by smaller fish (roach rudd etc)

I also use different feeds, chum, winalot, cat biscuits ,floating pellets makes it harder for carp to pick something different out.

Try the little and often feed approach, a pouch of floaters every 3 minutes (depending on wind conditions) keeps them interested and staying in your swim and not drifting off into someone elses.

Hope this helps,

Guest Anonymous

get some cork balls and just nibble away at them and hair rig that :wink: just the same as chum mixer or get some bait bands a1 for hooking chum mixer on water where you cant use BOILIES..... chum mixer perfect bait for on the top... see enterprise tackle i use there artf chum mixer that come with diff size shot to push in the bottem

Guest grint

the best surface bait I ever had was a fake tiger nut which I had for years and always caught on it always seemed to work in conjunction with chum mixers

to set up

at home, fill the sink put a hook the size you intend to use and put on the plastic bait,now take a small drill bit and make a shallow hole on the oppersite side to the hook and insert a small swan shot experiment till the bait floats and the hook sits on the top if you've got it right you'll hardly notice the shot underneath.

don't what ever you do use florocarbon hookink as this is heavy and will sink and may well effect presentation look around the flyfishing section at yer tackle shop for clear floationg leader material 8lbs upwards.

pre soak your chum mixers m8, can stick the hook straight thru em then with just the point of the hook sticking out. I like to pre soak mine in some type of flavouring which makes it just that little bit different from the norm. Bread Crust is just as deadly as it ever was too, easy to hide your hook in a bit of crust.

I personally poor boiling hot water over them and leave for 30 seconds. Put them into a small sandwich bag or something, blow air into it and then tie it. After you have done this leave them in the fridge over night and they should turn rubbery, perfect texture for the hook.:)

Soak them in a bait box with a small amount of water after 20 mins or so take all the water out & leave the bait box in full view of the sun for at least another 1/2 hours so they dry out again but still stay rubbery enough to stay on the hook properly & you'll be able to hook them easily also.:wink::)

SORTED!!! if you stick luncheon meat in the sun as well it gets a nice tough coat to it, almost perfect for rolling down a river or simply to keep the luncheon meat on better on a long cast, if I were you though mate get a pocket knife ( be careful ) & an uncut tin loaf crusty preferably & try that it'll beat any chum mixer this early on in the season. To hook it simply sew it on 3-4 times through the crust using nothing smaller than a size 10 hook & i'd use nothing smaller than an inch or 3 cm's cubed square piece of bread not forgetting to leave the flake sticking out of the flake rather than crushing the hook into it as thats what the carp go for is the flake I think personally GOOD LUCK :D:wink::)

• 2 weeks later...
i tried them but had no look on them so went back to ordaniry real ones

same here m8, I found I had to get em really scrapping over freebies before I'd even get a sniff on a fake one. I murdered em on friday morning a fish a throw almost. Controller, 8ft of berkley Vanish greased with Mucilin (cept for the last foot or so to the hook), size 12 hook, single chum mixer held on with a baitband. Best result ive had so far when surface fishing.