D-Rig

alexlovesfishing123

That reminds me... Someone posted a picture with lots of different hookpoints at an extreme close up pic, so you could see which was the sharpest, does anyone still have it? I've done a search but I couldn't find it anywhere? Cheers

i used to have it but can't find it now :(

I have myself a lovely 100mm macro lens, i'll see what kind of results i can get. Won't go buying loads of packs of hooks unless i can get good shots of them first

Nice one Sharpy :D

• 11 months later...

this may seem like a stupid question but ive been trying to make a d-rig for the first time but when using stiff 20lb line, i cannot pass it through the eye of the hook 3 times as required. Im using the esp line and hooks that go together but how am i meant to do this? Any help would be appreciated!

Use a whipping knot/ spade end knot rather than a knot-less knot on the hook shank- that way it only goes through the eye once + the tag for the D.

I saw fairbrass doing it in the first free korda tackle tactics and tips dvd and tried it- it does appear a lot stronger than the knot-less knot- it doesnt slip.

He shows you how to tie it in volume 2 as well (out now and free from your local tackle shop)

i use 20lb amnesia and whip my 'd' with fly tying cotton, instead of using a rig ring i use a small loop of mono as a hair rig like this....

http://anglersdiary.blogspot.com/2008/07/carp-rigs-d-rig.html

its a cracking rig 8)

Some years ago Partridge bought out D rig hooks complete with ring and the hair whipped onto the shank, they even did them in green :wink:

i use 20lb amnesia and whip my 'd' with fly tying cotton, instead of using a rig ring i use a small loop of mono as a hair rig like this....

its a cracking rig 8)

Some years ago Partridge bought out D rig hooks complete with ring and the hair whipped onto the shank, they even did them in green :wink:

Didn't Carp-R-Us (on Nailers ?) and Big Fish Adventure also follow suit?

I gave some of the Carp-R-Us ones that I got as samples somewhere to a mate who was having problems tying them.

I also made up some myself using Whipping thread or cotton and a short length of Amnesia

its a cracking rig 8)

I gave some of the Carp-R-Us ones that I got as samples somewhere to a mate who was having problems tying them.

I also made up some myself using Whipping thread or cotton and a short length of Amnesia

Quite right Nick, My memory's are failing me, I juast rememered the jade green hoooks :wink:

Glad to have helped mbuye2003 :)

I think i have seen ESP raptors in the tackle shop with D-rigs whipped on ready?????

may be wrong but im pretty sure you get 6 raptors with the D-rig and ring whipped on for £4 something :?:?

bit of a rip off tbf :?

its a cracking rig 8)

yeah they did nick, i actually started with the big fish adventure ones because they were based on my favourite b175's :wink:

they were very expensive though, from memory they were £3 for a packet of 5 and this was in the late 90's, hideously expensive at the time :shock:

thats what led me to whip my own, buying the materials and doing them yourself was miles cheaper, i don't tend to use the rig often these days but i've still got my fly tying vice handy just in case :wink:

the rig was very very effective and it helped me crack a real tough nut of a water at the time 8)