Method Feeder and Bolt Rig - Differences

tcbuk

I am guesting on a lake this weekend and my "mentor" has decided we are starting off fishing the method.

Never having fished the method I am very much looking forward to it.

I then started thinking that if successful I would give it a try on my "regular" haunts, only to find they are banned on the couple of commercials I use.

I have 2 questions.

1) Does anyone know why they should incur a ban ?

2) Is there that much difference in presentation/camouflage if I were to use a Bolt Rig with a PVA bag of goodies, as opposed to a method feeder ?

I see both set ups as having the possibility of being very similar and getting around the ban.

Cheers

Mark

To me the Method is a Semi-Fixed Lead rig, in other words a Bolt Rig, as that is what the rig is designed to do, cause the fish to "bolt".

The "Method" was banned on many waters as the original way of using it included Elastic running through the middle of the feeder. If there was a snap-off then a carp was doomed to trail a feeder around with it.

Now the Method pretty much just refers to an Inline Groundbait Feeder.

There are a couple of ways of getting round this, and are totally legal. An Inline Lead, covered in groundbait gives the same presentation as a Method Feeder, you can fix a Lead Pendant style (the trilobe leads are good for holding groundbait on) Or a PVA Bag full of groundbait attached to the lead with the hook nicked into the bottom corner of the bag.

By the same token as banning Method feeders, does the club ban the original Open framefeeder? This was exactly the same as a Method feeder, but fished free running as you would a normal groundbait feeder?

no difference in presentation mate, most likely to find that your club has a hardcore of matchmen.

both presentations put a tight bed down and a bait right on top.

why cant you fish the "method with your hookbait cast to it or dropped by boat????

would keep levels of naturals high but forget the bolt rig......go for a free running lead and a slack line for indication, any takes are likely to be finicky and you need it to register properly. hit the twitches, dont wait for a full blooded run :wink: