Affinity, Emblem or Ultegra

Hello,

I''m new to this forum and I registered, because I need some advice from experienced carp anglers.

Some introduction would be appropriate, I think. I come from Slowenia and've been a spinn- and flyfisher for many years, but discovered carp fishing two years ago and I must admit it's very addictive ... I guess last year I was out carp fishing for many more days than all other fishing techniques combined ...

And of course with time there was also the need for two long cast reels. I first bought two Wychwood Riot reels, that turned out to be absolute stinky winky, and then two Ryobi Proskyers, that were not much better. Fortunately I was able to sell them over ebay without much loss. I don’t want to repeat my mistakes for the third time and would like to get a decent pair of reels.

First what I want from the reel is good drive mechanism, durability and longevity. The number of ball bearings is not so important, but I definitely don’t want a reel, where the worm shaft runs in plastic holes and is held in place with a retaining clip. It would be good if spare parts are available in case I need them. Quick drag would be nice, but not absolutely necessary. And the reel absolutely must have a spare spool.

On the waters i’m currently fishing on, I need to cast my rigs approximately 100 to 120 m, but I think that sooner or later I will be fishing on waters, where larger casting distances are required.

My budget is approximately 150 Euro for one reel.

The reels, that are shortlisted, are:

Shimano Ultegra XTE 14000

Daiwa Emblem 45 SCW QD

Penn Affinity III 8000

Which one would you recommend and why? And what are the pros and cons for one or the other?

Before starting this thread I did of course conduct a thorough search on the internet including this forum, but didn’t really get any smarter, so I decided to register here and ask the question.

I thank you all in advance for your answers.

• 2 weeks later...

After many years of using Shimano 5000 and 6000 Baitrunners, I finally upsized and bought 3 x XTE 14000's. The line lay is ridiculously good and although I haven't fished a large water since I bought them, I can reach the far bank of my local water which is probably 70/80 yards with barely a flick of the rod. If I really wound it up, I'm sure 120/130 would be easily achievable.

That said, all the reels you mention would be a good buy. The old saying "Buy cheap, buy twice" might apply to some of your earlier purchases.

On 22/01/2024 at 06:55, Bilch said:

Hello,

I''m new to this forum and I registered, because I need some advice from experienced carp anglers.

Some introduction would be appropriate, I think. I come from Slowenia and've been a spinn- and flyfisher for many years, but discovered carp fishing two years ago and I must admit it's very addictive ... I guess last year I was out carp fishing for many more days than all other fishing techniques combined ...

And of course with time there was also the need for two long cast reels. I first bought two Wychwood Riot reels, that turned out to be absolute stinky winky, and then two Ryobi Proskyers, that were not much better. Fortunately I was able to sell them over ebay without much loss. I don’t want to repeat my mistakes for the third time and would like to get a decent pair of reels.

First what I want from the reel is good drive mechanism, durability and longevity. The number of ball bearings is not so important, but I definitely don’t want a reel, where the worm shaft runs in plastic holes and is held in place with a retaining clip. It would be good if spare parts are available in case I need them. Quick drag would be nice, but not absolutely necessary. And the reel absolutely must have a spare spool.

On the waters i’m currently fishing on, I need to cast my rigs approximately 100 to 120 m, but I think that sooner or later I will be fishing on waters, where larger casting distances are required.

My budget is approximately 150 Euro for one reel.

The reels, that are shortlisted, are:

Shimano Ultegra XTE 14000

Daiwa Emblem 45 SCW QD

Penn Affinity III 8000

Which one would you recommend and why? And what are the pros and cons for one or the other?

Before starting this thread I did of course conduct a thorough search on the internet including this forum, but didn’t really get any smarter, so I decided to register here and ask the question.

I thank you all in advance for your answers.

Are you  capable of casting that kind of distance 

99% of rods and reels should be able to cast that far even the ones you have mentioned 

Edited by framey

On 30/01/2024 at 17:48, Golden Paws said:

After many years of using Shimano 5000 and 6000 Baitrunners, I finally upsized and bought 3 x XTE 14000's. The line lay is ridiculously good and although I haven't fished a large water since I bought them, I can reach the far bank of my local water which is probably 70/80 yards with barely a flick of the rod. If I really wound it up, I'm sure 120/130 would be easily achievable.

That said, all the reels you mention would be a good buy. The old saying "Buy cheap, buy twice" might apply to some of your earlier purchases.

In the end I decided to buy the Affinities and they were delivered on Friday. And since the Affinities cost considerably less than the Ultegras I could also afford to buy an Affinity spod.

First impression is very good - seem very durable (it is almost impossible to bend the rotor or the support arm), they crank smoothly but not too lightly (which means that the gears are probably well greased), the handle is screwed in the main gear, when the bail is opened, the rotor is blocked, so it cannot turn during a cast, the bail can only be closed manually, the clutch goes from free spool to almost completely closed in one turn.

3 minutes ago, Bilch said:

In the end I decided to buy the Affinities and they were delivered on Friday. And since the Affinities cost considerably less than the Ultegras I could also afford to buy an Affinity spod.

First impression is very good - seem very durable (it is almost impossible to bend the rotor or the support arm), they crank smoothly but not too lightly (which means that the gears are probably well greased), the handle is screwed in the main gear, when the bail is opened, the rotor is blocked, so it cannot turn during a cast, the bail can only be closed manually, the clutch goes from free spool to almost completely closed in one turn.

The affinity have a good reputation 

I personally think penn is very good 

the sea angling fraternity use penn  aLOT

Edited by framey

On 30/01/2024 at 18:18, framey said:

Are you  capable of casting that kind of distance 

99% of rods and reels should be able to cast that far even the ones you have mentioned 

I fish on a 0,5 sq mi reservoir and prefer to fish with PVA bags or large cage feeders which one cannot cast very far without proper tackle - my Shimano US Baitrunners 8000 D with their fairly short spools are not exactly the best choice.

On the other hand, I can effortlessly cast an 80 g Weight a 100 yards with my old 4. gen. Daiwa SS 4000 and an old 3lb/3,3m Rod from the 80ies (I'm a big fan of old tackle)