Rechargeable alarm or AAA battery?

1 hour ago, Leegii said:

hey folks do you prefer bite alarms with sealed rechargeable batteries or the ones with AAA batteries?

I dislike rechargeable batteries for alarms, (and torches).

Nothing against them in the right place, but rechargeable batteries have a terrible tendency to fail when you need them most.

Delkims also have PP3, square batteries, not AAA's.

I mention torches in brackets, I have a wooly hat with a USB rechargeable led lamp in it. The battery life is in hours, compared to the battery life of my  headlights being in weeks. I quite frequently read from say 6pm to 10pm, 4 hours, the hat light will be dead after that 4 hours, the battery headlight will be doing that for days.

Now switch that to your alarm, you have an electronic circuit, minimal power in use, maybe a led, when the limited life of the battery runs down, so you end up recharging it with your power bank. Then your powerbank is empty...

Or worse, you miss a run.

Alarms with removable batteries, whether AA, AAA, LR1, or PP3, have a longer life, it's not hard to replace. You could in theory use rechargeable batteries rather than 'disposable'!

Here's the next points, those AA, PP3, are quite frequently manufacturers numbers, everyone knows that a PP3 is the 9v 'square', although the brand number will be Duracell MN1604 and there are others.

Rechargeable batteries have for years had limited life, whether replaceable or not, and struggle in cold and wet weather. 

I am more of a devil's advocate of the new technology. I like to see brands like Rippton trying out new ideas and working to integrate innovative features into their fishing tackles. The key is reliability. New features should be added as the technology makes progress and the fishing scenarios and needs of the anglers also keep changing. Rechargeable batteries are more friendly to the environment and can guarantee better waterproof performance as the batteries are sealed. You have to charge them more often, but today power banks are so common to use on the bank anyway.

5 hours ago, andywilson123 said:

I am more of a devil's advocate of the new technology. I like to see brands like Rippton trying out new ideas and working to integrate innovative features into their fishing tackles. The key is reliability. New features should be added as the technology makes progress and the fishing scenarios and needs of the anglers also keep changing. Rechargeable batteries are more friendly to the environment and can guarantee better waterproof performance as the batteries are sealed. You have to charge them more often, but today power banks are so common to use on the bank anyway.

I'm not sure new technology rechargeable batteries are more friendly to the environment!

Mining lithium, cobalt, chromium, and other rare metals?

Here's something for you, I use power banks to recharge my phone and my tablet when I'm fishing, so no problem with rechargeable batteries, however, the 3 power packs, between them only last 4 days. The phone battery is used up faster when phone signal is low and it struggles to pick up. It is not like they are cheap power banks as one is strong enough to jump start a car!

Convert the shorter battery life to alarms, your power bank is now being used for 3rd purpose. A fish is at risk if the battery has died.

I've used rechargeable batteries in alarms, I have a home charger that recharges PP3, AAA'S and AA's, all of which I use in both camera, torches and alarms. Again, battery life is limited. Cold weather and rechargeable batteries don't mix well. Rechargeable batteries have a life, before the battery dies. 

We seem to advance technology without thinking of the actual ramifications, moving too fast.

I've used rechargables for a number of years from the old fashioned and totally unreliable Ni-Cad's (Nickel Cadmium) that "lost" the amount of charge that remained if you didn't totally flatten them before recharging. The latest ni-mh (Nickel Metal Hydride) batteries don't suffer from the memory effect but I'm starting to find them a pain. I keep my camera gear and batteries in the house ( a cold, damp garage drains them really quickly) but I'm still finding that every time I go to use the camera, I take a few shots and they fail on me and I have to put a new set in.

I checked the batteries with an avo-meter and when they failed they typically showed about 1.2 Volts but when fully charged, even the best ones were only giving about 1.35 Volts.

I'm probably going to get some alkaline or possibly lithium batteries in the future. Generally speaking, the better ones cost more but they do last longer. 

23 hours ago, salokcinnodrog said:

I'm not sure new technology rechargeable batteries are more friendly to the environment!

Mining lithium, cobalt, chromium, and other rare metals?

Here's something for you, I use power banks to recharge my phone and my tablet when I'm fishing, so no problem with rechargeable batteries, however, the 3 power packs, between them only last 4 days. The phone battery is used up faster when phone signal is low and it struggles to pick up. It is not like they are cheap power banks as one is strong enough to jump start a car!

Convert the shorter battery life to alarms, your power bank is now being used for 3rd purpose. A fish is at risk if the battery has died.

I've used rechargeable batteries in alarms, I have a home charger that recharges PP3, AAA'S and AA's, all of which I use in both camera, torches and alarms. Again, battery life is limited. Cold weather and rechargeable batteries don't mix well. Rechargeable batteries have a life, before the battery dies. 

We seem to advance technology without thinking of the actual ramifications, moving too fast.

Well, I believe they are more friendly to the environment if you use them in the long run in terms of the fact that you don't need to change the batteries.  And as technology progresses, we should be able to see longer life spans. The rechargeable alarms I currently using can last around a week as it is connected to the phone. It is convenient for me to schedule the charging as I can easily check the battery status on my phone.

I agree about trying to do your bit for the environment and not throwing out batteries after they have run out, that's why I went down the rechargeable route. Unfortunately rechargables seem to suffer from discharge, even when stored outside of devices. I have a spare set of batteries at all times and it seems that every trip I was having to take the camera batteries out and replace them with the spare set.

I've just bit the bullet and bought some Energizer Ultimate Lithium batteries. Not cheap at £18 for 10 but they are reputed to last double that of even the best alkaline batteries.

Reliable: Each lithium double A battery boasts up to 20 years' shelf life in storage and is tolerant of extreme temperatures, from -40C to 60C, for year-round indoor and outdoor use.

World's Longest Lasting: Nothing outlasts Energizer lithium AA batteries.

Lifted from a website. Can't give you a long term review yet but they do have a good reputation. Unfortunately in life, sometimes the best is always the most expensive!

On 03/11/2023 at 08:07, andywilson123 said:

Well, I believe they are more friendly to the environment if you use them in the long run in terms of the fact that you don't need to change the batteries.  And as technology progresses, we should be able to see longer life spans. The rechargeable alarms I currently using can last around a week as it is connected to the phone. It is convenient for me to schedule the charging as I can easily check the battery status on my phone.

1 hour ago, Golden Paws said:

I agree about trying to do your bit for the environment and not throwing out batteries after they have run out, that's why I went down the rechargeable route. Unfortunately rechargables seem to suffer from discharge, even when stored outside of devices. I have a spare set of batteries at all times and it seems that every trip I was having to take the camera batteries out and replace them with the spare set.

I've just bit the bullet and bought some Energizer Ultimate Lithium batteries. Not cheap at £18 for 10 but they are reputed to last double that of even the best alkaline batteries.

Reliable: Each lithium double A battery boasts up to 20 years' shelf life in storage and is tolerant of extreme temperatures, from -40C to 60C, for year-round indoor and outdoor use.

World's Longest Lasting: Nothing outlasts Energizer lithium AA batteries.

Lifted from a website. Can't give you a long term review yet but they do have a good reputation. Unfortunately in life, sometimes the best is always the most expensive!

Oh believe me, I try to do my bit for the environment and I don't take the immediate environmentally friendly statement of a product or technology as fact. The truth is that some 'green' technologies are just as damaging but its not obvious. 

I save my batteries after use, and take them to the recycling ♻ bin after use, my soft plastic goes to the supermarket recycling.

As @Golden Paws has said, rechargeable batteries have an unreliability issue, the charge does not last, so it is use the best battery available. For my alarms, my Duracell batteries are currently on a year, it would be longer, but I bought new alarms in August 2022. My Energizer camera batteries are on 6months, my Petzl headlight batteries are on a year. My rechargeable headlight had to be charged after 4hours.