Rule “fixed bolt rig”

Carpman98

Just a question if anyone could kindly answer. Just checking the rules on a lake I’m looking to fish over the weekend. One of the rules is “no fixed bolt rigs” my assumption on this is no inline leads that are fixed onto your line at all times. Is this correct? or does this mean something else? 

4 hours ago, Carpman98 said:

Just a question if anyone could kindly answer. Just checking the rules on a lake I’m looking to fish over the weekend. One of the rules is “no fixed bolt rigs” my assumption on this is no inline leads that are fixed onto your line at all times. Is this correct? or does this mean something else? 

Not necessarily 

if the lead breaks free of the line it’s not fixed an inline will come free as long as the swivel is t jammed into the end of the rubber.

incorrect set up will render it fixed 

“technically” a helicopter set up (chod rig style) is a fixed lead system but the hook length comes free 

you would need to get it clarified by a fishery manager to be on the safe side.

On 20/07/2023 at 13:33, Carpman98 said:

On 20/07/2023 at 16:09, yonny said:

It means the lead must be able to release in the event of a line breakage👍

On 20/07/2023 at 17:45, framey said:

Not necessarily 

if the lead breaks free of the line it’s not fixed an inline will come free as long as the swivel is t jammed into the end of the rubber.

incorrect set up will render it fixed 

“technically” a helicopter set up (chod rig style) is a fixed lead system but the hook length comes free 

you would need to get it clarified by a fishery manager to be on the safe side.

A fixed lead is a lead that can't come off the line if there is a breakage.

To me a bolt rig, is still the Kevin Maddocks description in Carp Fever, a free running lead, held in place by the tight line.

An inline lead should be able to slide off the hooklink swivel, so that is not fixed, you then have run rings, that should slide up and over the broken line, a lead clip should release the lead.

I must confess, I don't like lead clips at all, that is me, personal opinion.

As for helicopter set-ups, the hooklink comes free, as long as the lead has not been released.