My ‘failed’ attempts

Lorc

Hi guys, I recently been making my own hookbaits and getting really into it! Although I’m struggling with mould problems, I’m drying the baits for 48hrs and also adding citric acid but the mould keeps coming back! What can I do to prevent this? 😁

You need to add some liquid preservative with your liquids before rolling. You can buy bait preserver (CC Moore, AA baits, BAF etc), also sold as mono propylene glycol. Around 10ml per egg (up to 15ml)  will do the trick, and keep your bait fresh. It's a human grade food product.

Alternatively freeze your bait after drying for 48 hours, but it will start to go off once defrosted.

Or you can use rock salt to preserve your boilies, but I don't have any experience of that myself.

Hope this helps.

Or Add a bit of glycerin after they are made. roll them in that like you would a goo or glug 

once or twice let it dry in between.

I have a kilo of bait in a lock seal bag that has been curing in rock salt for nearly a year.

Edited by framey

9 hours ago, Lorc said:

Hi guys, I recently been making my own hookbaits and getting really into it! Although I’m struggling with mould problems, I’m drying the baits for 48hrs and also adding citric acid but the mould keeps coming back! What can I do to prevent this? 😁

Add around 10ml of glycerine in with your liquid ingredients. Glycerine is a long term preservative and bait hardener.

When you dry your hookbaits out, you might want to do that until they are totally dry, then drill before putting in a tub. This may take a lot more than 48hours.

At this point I then make around 20ml of bait soak, of which 10ml is glycerine and the rest is Seafood Attract, and pour it over them, shake and keep shaking them every time you walk past until it is totally absorbed.