Dropped runs

courtz

I'm having a bit of a problem, in the past two sessions i've had 3 dropped takes.

I fish slack lines and backleads, when suddenly the bobbin shoots straight up to the rod blank and stays there.

I've got the feeling that i'm being done. What makes it even more annoying is that there's only 35-40 fish in the lake, and you normally just get one chance per session! They are pressured fish so must be pretty good at dealing with rigs.

I'm not sure what could be the problem with my rig, because out of 15 fish i've managed to hook this season i've landed all of them. It's just the few that i'm sure i haven't hooked.

The rigs im using are helicopters with a 3oz square pear, and 2ft of solar contour leadcore with a flying backlead. On the business end it's an 8'' cotaed braid (rigmarole hydrolink 15lb) with the last inch left supple, hooksm are ESP D-7 in size 7, with 5mm of shrink tubing coming off the eye, and a peice of blowback tubing along the shank. Bait wise is a 14mm with a 5mm gap between the hook bend and bait.

I change rigs after each fish and make sure they are always sharp before casting, and use a PVA nuggest to protect the hook point on the cast.

I'm sure there's something i could do to convert these missed chances into fish on the bank?

Here's a couple of idead i've been toying with

-Larger baits

-Longer hairs

-Smaller leads

-Counter balancing the weight of the hook with fake corn/half a pop up

What ideas do you have?

Cheers

Courtney

was going to say longer hairs. i generally fish 22mm baits with about 20mm between bait and bend of hook. but theyve got to be feeding right really as otherwise the hook may not get taken back far enough. and as a result the fish will pop off after a short while. on the other hand, a really short hair, like 1 or 2 mm may get pulled way back in the mouth which is what you want, had a small double the other day and the Hook was at least 25mm back in the mouth. on a short hair.

it sounds to me as though they are quite delecate feeding fish, as in picking up baits bit by bit, rather than up to the gill covers really troughing. would that be right? perhaps critically balancing a bait would work.

Thats a big stock for such a small lake mate - they must have seen everything before and probably respond to lines in the water and go on a shy one.

I'd also say try a balanced snowman with a fairly longish hooklink 12 inch, if they are just lipping the bait, the balanced rig should go further in the mouth. could also try trigger link - I bet they aint come accross that yet!

try doing something different with your lead setup. if casting distance is not a n issue use use heavy leads or really light. Alternativley can use leads on a running settup with slack lines allowing fish to move away with a bait before he realises he has been done. leave the rigs until very thing else has been tried i spent a ot of time messing about with rigs until i got the carp feeding confidently over my bait and then the rest fell into place.