Spodding

7 minutes ago, yonny said:

Completely depend on what you want to do mate.

If you'll be baiting lightly at 30 yards you'll get away with a small spomb on your carp rods with mono. If you're filling it in at 100+ it's time for braid/leaders.

I personally use 40 or 50 lb braid straight through for anything up to 100 yards. Dead easy.

You really don't need to get too fancy unless you're planning on going mega long.

I'm with some of the other in that if I can get away with the catty or stick I will. I'll only use the spod if distance requires it, the type of bait requires it, or if the spot is too tight for using a stick. Unfortunately the water I'm on at the moment means that I have to spod every session. Bit of a ball ache tbh.

On my club water it's no more than 10 wraps (40yrds)to middle of lake, Park lake is around 16 wraps (64yrds) to the features...but 1 or 2 waters I plan on fishing next year have features that are considerably longer easy.... I just want to be ready for all scenarios really, same with the Canal, I will take to lead about on it, but feed via hand/catty. 

I want to have a good go on it next year on some decent waters. 

6 hours ago, Highy said:

The 50lb Angry Fish is £17 for 1000mtr, Amnesia 30lb £5.50 for 100m.... Good reviews on them both I found, but so far I'm still thinking the Gardner Kinetic. 

The Angry fish is what I use for pike fishing as well. I've had it on for a year on both with no problems, although the colour does fade. 

Amnesia is also used for comb-rigs or stiff links. 

One thing I have found with braid is that hitting the clip hard at short range with a Spomb it fails to open, whereas a spod will drop the bait.