Which D rig?!

pablo7uk

Hello,

Every time I search the D rig I seem to find different versions of it. Then I wasn't sure if it was a chod rig or if there is infact even a difference between the two other than the curve of the hooklink material in a chod rig.

I've tied this up as my first attempt, firstly the "knotting" seems a little loose despite pulling it all tight. I've tied it about 5-6inch long with a ring swivel on a loop at the other end.

I wanted to tie up this rig as I had read it could be used for balanced bottom baits and has a reputation for good hooking potential and holds.

Firstly what rig have I actually tied? And secondly is this suitable for how I intend to use it?

Thanks, Paul

IMG_20200510_171927.jpg

1 hour ago, framey said:

There are all one and the same apart from the material used.

you can make a longer D by just whipping down towards the bend with more turns

Thanks appreciate the advice as I was getting so confused. I know I'd really upped my game recently with pop ups by starting to use the spinner rig pre lockdown of course but I wanted an awesome bottom bait rig too so I'm hoping this is going  to be it! 

The D-rig is the basis for a few rigs. A Chod rig relies on a D.

You can even end the D up the hooklink, making it a blowback rig.

I must admit I tie a longer knotless section so the ring is situated close and tight to the shank near the bend for pop-ups, I personally found it gave me better hookups. Please note, that is my findings on pop-ups fished close to the bottom.

D-rigs do also work very well with snowman presentations as well as bottom baits. I believe It was in this situation, as a bottom bait rig that Roger Smith came up with it, in the blowback format, for fish that had sussed the original hair at Savay.