Spinning for carp

carpepecheur

No this thread is not what you think.

There has been quite a bit of interest shown in using the multi rig for pop ups. I thought some of you might be interested in my alternative method for pop ups which I have been using for some years now with good success. I just made a short clip on YouTube using the slow motion feature on my ‘phone. It is not very professional but I think it is clear enough to show how it works.

The pop up is fished straight off the lead for a reason. When the carp sucks the bait, it whips the hook round inside its mouth very aggressively. Not only does it find a hold straight away but the sudden movement in its mouth causes the fish to bolt straight away coming instantly against the bolt lead and driving the hook home.

I am not aware of ever being “done” using this rig but if it does happen the rig is self-setting. Another advantage is that when playing the fish, the weight is close to the carp and not swinging about. This makes the hook hold feel more sure and seems to avoid getting the lead snagged if fishing close to trees etc.

I have described this online before but I am not aware of anyone using it. I had lots of negative comments of what people thought would happen such as “likely to foul hook” etc but after several years I have found no problems using it.

https://youtu.be/D6DgfsC2W8o

Edited by carpepecheur

Your video is private.  Other than being a pop-up it sounds a bit like the 'clumper' which I believe was a short link bolt rig on an odd lead (big disc with the eye in the middle so it wouldn't drag).  Old enough no trace remains on the internet now. 😀

19 hours ago, carpepecheur said:

Sorted

If I understand you , Carpepecheur , you use an inline lead ( 2oz. ? ) tie on a link ( semi stiff , coated braid ( ? ) ,  with a No. 8 ( ? ) Ring Swivel , then thread the Pop Up on , tie on your hook ( a curve shank ( ? ) and add the shot tight up to the Pop Up .

😃

Looks very interesting is the suction part been slowed down ? As fast as it in it’s out with fish rejecting baits. A Chod hook looks like it would go searching for a hook hold in this rig. And you could get away with using a BIG hook by the looks of it. Thanks for sharing 😬😎   

First of all Crucian, you have put your finger on the only downside of using this rig and that is you have to tie a new one every time you need to replace the bait.

I actually tie the rig the other way round. First I take a length of the most supple braid I can find. I tie on the hook using a half blood knot to a straight eye or spade end knot if it is an offset eye. Then I thread on the pop up and push it towards the hook. I then add a shot between hook and pop up so that it is just enough to turn the pop up to make the hook hang below it but not enough to sink the pop up. I would use putty but it is hard to find in local shops here. Sometimes, just the weight of the hook is sufficient. It depends on how buoyant the pop up is. The hook pattern does not matter too much but I suspect an offset point might help. I used to think that the gap of the hook should be half the width of the boilie to avoid snagging the line hanging down the side of the boilie but in practise an even a bigger gape never snags. I have done a lot of sucking and blowing with that “artificial carp mouth” to test this.

The line is then tied to whatever weight you are using. I tend to use 70 grams inline but the type is not critical. The length of line between the boilie and weight needs to be the distance above the bottom you want your pop up to fish.

If I am really honest I rarely use pop ups because most of my fishing is over clean ground and I seem to get more takes on a bottom bait. However, I use a very similar rig which is modified to work on the bottom. I rarely miss a take because it is self-hooking. If you have a 20 mm boilie and the bend of the hook is 20mm below this, the hook describes a huge 40mm arc inside the carp’s mouth. It is virtually impossible for it not to find a hook hold.

As I say in the video, the sudden movement the carp feels inside its mouth causes it to bolt immediately. There are no tentative bites, they are all one toners.

I hope someone finds this useful.

In reply to Snowmanstevo, the whole thing has been filmed using the slow motion feature on my 'phone. The hook whips round quite quickly in real time giving the carp no chance to blow it out.

21 hours ago, snowmanstevo said:

Looks very interesting is the suction part been slowed down ? 

I just repeated the clip and slowed it down 10 times using a camera and fast shutter speed. Although the bait is only very briefly in the "mouth" you can see that the point of the hook bangs the side very aggressively twice before ejecting. If that doesn't nail a fish nothing will :)