I am completely new to carp fishing.  I am not an avid fisherman, but more than a novice after 50 years.  I do a lot of channel cat fishing in the Hudson.  Can someone give me the basics of carp fishing as far as rigs, baits, etc.  Also, there are some flats that hold big carp in the Mid-Hudson River in the summer.  Would they still hold up there in the colder weather?

Welcome to the forum.  You'll find your catfishing skills will see you in good stead, probably downsizing line and hooks a little and learning to tie hair rigs with a knotless knot and mounting your bait on the hair (not an absolute necessity but it helps) and you'll be good to go.  There are home made ways to rig tools for everything in carp fishing; bending the right sort of wire to make baiting needles, all sorts of things for bite alarms, etc.  We always push for anglers to use a carp safe net (either a real carp net or one of the big rubber ones won't peel scales off) and a padded unhooking mat of some sort. The more you catch the more you'll get into it, and the more you get into it the more kit you'll want.  If you can't find something using the search function here just ask and someone will try to help.