Crawfish scent?

EW Story

I'm going to try making boilies this season and was curious if anyone has used crawfish scent additive in their recipe?

The reason I'm curious is years ago I fished a local river for catfish with limb lines and trotlines, if I baited with live crawfish I caught more carp than catfish.

You can get it from most of the big bait suppliers in the UK but not sure about the US buddy. I'm guessing the real big boys like CC Moore or British Aqua Feeds will ship to the US but I'd be surprised if Google can't give you a local supplier.

*I'm assuming you're in the US, if not I apologise! 

24 minutes ago, yonny said:

You can get it from most of the big bait suppliers in the UK but not sure about the US buddy. I'm guessing the real big boys like CC Moore or British Aqua Feeds will ship to the US but I'd be surprised if Google can't give you a local supplier.

*I'm assuming you're in the US, if not I apologise! 

Thanks! I just looked up CC Moore .

I find crayfish a deadly bait for carp. Unfortunately, their use, here in France, is covered by complicated rules. First you have to catch them. Considering how prolific they are, it is less easy to catch them legally. As I understand it, the use of traps is forbidden as is also catching them by hand. You can only use rod and line (maximum of 4) or a drop net – called a “balance” (maximum of 6). A fishing licence is also obligatory.

Once you have caught them, you must kill them (unless they are the very rare native species in which case you have already broken the law). They may not be returned alive to the water or transported live away from the water. From memory the fine is an eye watering 22,500 euros (the same fine as transporting live carp),

However, having obtained a bucket of dead crayfish, simply mash them up as small as possible and mix it in with your ground bait. I have found this very effective. I am sure you could also extract some “juice” to put in your boilie mix. I believe crayfish make an excellent hook bait but the rules state that the use of a crayfish for such use is illegal. It does not specify live or dead. I would not be caught using one ;) 

Alternatively, you can take them home and make crayfish bisque which is a dish to die for. I have a recipe if anyone is interested.

This is France where the main occupation is making rules and the major passion is swerving round them. I totally support the rules relating to transport or return of live crayfish. I am guessing the other rules restricting their catching were designed years ago when it was legal to catch the native species and was an attempt at preventing overfishing them.

Despite fishing little used and remote locations I did once get caught by a garde de peche (bailiff) in possession of 150 crayfish. He simply gave me a warning, explained the rules and then showed me the correct way to kill a crayfish. These days I always take my dog with me when I am fishing and he gives me plenty of warning if someone is coming so that I can ensure I am not breaking any rules.

In the UK it’s illegal to put even dead crayfish back in to the water. Unless it’s been processed and heat treated, I.e. crayfish meal or a liquid of some form. Pretty hefty fine to go with it if caught and I believe a potential prison sentence if you are very unlucky! 

I believe that there is crayfish flavourings out there that can be used for bait. Try and get in contact with a liquid flavouring manufacturer.