Whats the best rig for mono ??

cooker1

TS out of braid so 'stuck' with mono .. Jes wonderin what your best rigs are using mono instead of braid ..

Saw one the other day that used a cpl of strands of mono as kind of backward spikes (ie short strands away from hookpoint towards mainline) as a sort of anti eject system .. anyone actually tried it ?? (It was like an umbrella of mono .. perhaps a spaghetti rig?? - Cant find the pic at the moment)

Hi Mate,

Welcome to the Forum.

I tend not to use Mono for hooklinks, I prefer the suppleness of Braid and adaptability of Coated Braid. If I start getting low on any hooklink material I make sure I go and purchase some more.

On the occasions I do use Mono hooklinks I basically just use Knotless Knot or the Hookknot tied down the shank (Domhof) and a supple Hair tied on.

The Anchor style rigs with the mono bristles are supposed to prevent the hook being blown out of the Carp's mouth. Not used them much myself. They are a pain in the butt to tie, and I prefer to get the Carp feeding comfortably and so they don't even think about blowing the hook out

don't under estimate mono hooklengths i use Korda IQ for 25% of my years fishing and it the business on clear waters and will not let you down over silt. The only bottom i won't fish it on is a graval pit as its not as realable as braid and will damage more easily but if your not snag fishing or over gravel give it a go. oh yes and Its also invisable in water and has fantastic anti-eject properties :lol::lol::lol::D:D:D

Please Not the 360 Rig! I would definitely advise against its use

That rig is lethal to some Carp when picking up the bait.

It can cause double hooking as well as being more Iron than needed.

Try this thread covering some of the Dangers of the 360 Rig:

https://forum.carp.com/carp-forum/viewtopic.php?t=25774

• 2 weeks later...

a simple D rig, ie a knotless knot then the bit that would normaly be the hair pushed back through the eye, trimmed and just touched with a lighter to make a small blob to stop it going back through the eye.

i have had absolutaly loads of fish on this rig.

you dont have to use a ring on the D i just use some strong cotton for the hair leaving a couple of millimetres to allow the bait to blow back.

Hi Mate,

Welcome to the Forum.

I tend not to use Mono for hooklinks, I prefer the suppleness of Braid and adaptability of Coated Braid. If I start getting low on any hooklink material I make sure I go and purchase some more.

On the occasions I do use Mono hooklinks I basically just use Knotless Knot or the Hookknot tied down the shank (Domhof) and a supple Hair tied on.

The Anchor style rigs with the mono bristles are supposed to prevent the hook being blown out of the Carp's mouth. Not used them much myself. They are a pain in the butt to tie, and I prefer to get the Carp feeding comfortably and so they don't even think about blowing the hook out

totaly agree mate, if you get them feeding confidently on your bait to start with then the simplest of rigs is sufficient and with far less to go wrong.

would not even bother looking at the latest wonder rig wether it be the spaghetti rig ravioli rig or any other italian dish!!! concentrate on bait application first mate :wink: