Help with a 12v power box

Hi everyone my name is cliff I been fishing for a few years now and am having ago at making a solar power pack box.

I bought a solar panel , ammo box, and a solar charge controller 

I have managed to get it all wired and working great but the bit I am stuck with is if I want to be able to charge the batterys at home by the mains , is how do I go about this without having to take the batterys wires out of the controller and then connect to the mains charger  .

As I have read somewhere you have to disconnect the wires from the controller first so not to blow the control unit , but also says I need to disconnect the solar wires first from the controller before disconnecting the battery. 

Sorry if this is confusing as I don't really know much about wiring so it's difficult for me to explain .

Anyways thanks for accepting me on the forum 

Cliff

2 hours ago, carpyian said:

Lucas 12V 10AH Sealed Rechargeable Battery not a bad battery 

Hi thanks for replys 

I have 4 spare 12v 5 amp batterys after I bought new ones for my kids scooters the batterys are still all good .

So I have connected all 4 into an ammo can and connected to a solar charge controller with a 12v 20amp max solar panel 

I just wondered if I needed to charge it at home before I fishing trip is there away to charge from the mains without having to disconnect batterys from the controller. 

As I don't want to exploding batterys 😁😁

I have another question if anyone can help I have attatched a photo of the controller .

I have looked at the instructions which is a waste of time to be honest 

Does anyone know of the correct settings I should be inputting into it or does it recognise the battery installed and uses the correct settings it's self .

It's just I seen alot of vids saying to set it up differently as I don't want it blowing up on the bank or killing the batterys 

Thanks for your replys 

15556698101371392145560374469171.jpg

33 minutes ago, cstubbs05 said:

I have another question if anyone can help I have attatched a photo of the controller .

I have looked at the instructions which is a waste of time to be honest 

Does anyone know of the correct settings I should be inputting into it or does it recognise the battery installed and uses the correct settings it's self .

It's just I seen alot of vids saying to set it up differently as I don't want it blowing up on the bank or killing the batterys 

Thanks for your replys 

15556698101371392145560374469171.jpg

15556721769676504210428146968830.jpg

56 minutes ago, cstubbs05 said:

15556721769676504210428146968830.jpg

Plus I have had the batterys on solar charge for most of the day in good sunlight and the float charge has not gone about 13.1v . I have read up and it is supposed to settle around 13.7v to 14.4v does anyone know why this is .

Sorry guys for all the questions but I just a little over precautions when it comes to electrics as never trust anything you can't see can't touch and can't hear 😁

On 19/04/2019 at 14:57, chillfactor said:

If you get a 12v charger you can plug this straight into your 12 v socket on your power pack & turn the power pack on,  it will then be charging,  What I would probably do is make the sonar panel easy to disconnect & disconnect before hand . I take it there lead acid batteries?

Hi yes they are lead acid batteries I have I stalled some 12v screw down connectors for the feed to the solar panel now , do you just disconnect the solar panel and run the mains 12v battery charger through where you connect the solar panel to 

Thanks for you help 

On 22/04/2019 at 12:15, cstubbs05 said:

do you just disconnect the solar panel and run the mains 12v battery charger through where you connect the solar panel to 

Thanks for you help 

Dont see why you can't.... & as I your disconnecting the solar panel makes sense too . 

I can stick the charger straight into the 12v socket on the front turn it on & charge it that way. 

20190426_201248.thumb.jpg.e8723edf7dfb3eada49c7be44be14efe.jpg