Grass Carp

Ginger9991

Hi,

Never caught one before, Not even seen one on the bank but i know theres a couple in the lake im currently fishing up to 27lb, I have 3 months left to try and get one out. Does anyone have any advise for these? At the moment im using solid bags with short hook links, i saw an article mentioning they have bigger mouths then common carp so maybe i im hurting my chances with solid bags. Its a 3 rod venue so its not like i have to completely move away from a successful tactic on this water.

Not caught one but did fish a lake with them in last year and had them in my water.  From what I've heard you want to be on veg food i,.e. tigers and/or maize/corn.  I avoided them with boilie hookbaits

The other advise I was given was to draw them over the sling instead of netting them, they will destroy your net otherwise.

Good luck

I've had a few small ones. All on a quick stop rig with luncheon meat. From what I'm lead to believe is that they don't feed on the bottom, so you want a buoyant, slow sinking bait. They naturally feed on vegetation, so get near the weeds or lilies, etc. 

A good Angler I know caught a 33lb er with tiger loaf, floating on its nose, he clotheslines across to a branch to keep the line out of the water. He's had quite a few with that method, but only in warmer weather. 

Good luck with your quest and I hope to see you've nailed one in the catch report 

unfortuntatly i have seen them cruising on the top in summer but your not allowed to surface fish or have a zig in the top 6" of water.......i might be a little naughty and put a rod on the tigers for the night...see what that does for me.

I have heard about them destroying nets but im clumsly enough as it is so in the net then straight out of the water i guess.

• 1 month later...

Not fished a lake with them in for a while, but used to fish a lake that held quite a few. For a while bait boats were allowed on the lake, during this period I think more grassies got caught, they seemed to like the dense concentration of bait, especially particles. If you can use a baitboat it might work on your lake, if not trying to replicate the tight, densely baited spot might work.

Bait wise peanuts, tigers and boilies all worked for me.

• 1 month later...