50mm Butt Guides

Hi,

I am new to carp fishing and fish a small venue. Whilst looking for new tackle to upgrade to I found both the Daiwa powermesh, 12ft 2.75lb, and the Shimano tx2's also 12ft and 2.75 tc. I favoured the Daiwa powermesh until I read that it had 50mm Butt guides. Bearing in mind the furthest I would need to cast is roughly 50yards, the bigger guides would be of no use.

I was wondering -because of the 50mm Butt Guides- if i would have to pair the rod with a big pit reel or a "mini" big pit? Or could i use a normal freespool reel?

Or should I just get the Shimano tx2's and pair it with a 6000 or 10000 reel for the close in fishing and be worry free?

6 hours ago, TaylorR said:

Hi,

I am new to carp fishing and fish a small venue. Whilst looking for new tackle to upgrade to I found both the Daiwa powermesh, 12ft 2.75lb, and the Shimano tx2's also 12ft and 2.75 tc. I favoured the Daiwa powermesh until I read that it had 50mm Butt guides. Bearing in mind the furthest I would need to cast is roughly 50yards, the bigger guides would be of no use.

I was wondering -because of the 50mm Butt Guides- if i would have to pair the rod with a big pit reel or a "mini" big pit? Or could i use a normal freespool reel?

Or should I just get the Shimano tx2's and pair it with a 6000 or 10000 reel for the close in fishing and be worry free?

Personally I hate 50mm ringsets. Bare in mind that it then follows that the rings going up the blank are also larger than with a 40mm ringset. This can have quite an effect on the action of a blank, particularly lighter ones.

Sadly 50mm butt rings are a current fashion that most of us simply don't need, like, to be honest 3.25lb test curve rods.

Unless you can really push a rod to its limit and maximum cast, then even with Big Pits, 50mm rings are a waste of time. In fact, in some cases, they can make your casting worse, dependant on how the line comes off the reels. 

My SP's and NG's both had 40mm butt rings, and with both and Big Pits, I could cast over 100 metres. I used Shimano 10000 size baitrunners on the NG's and due to line capacity and lay, I could only hit 90metres! No need for a 50mm butt ring on that i'm sure.

Personally I would go with 40mm butt rings, but as said that is my choice.

28 minutes ago, salokcinnodrog said:

Unless you can really push a rod to its limit and maximum cast, then even with Big Pits, 50mm rings are a waste of time. In fact, in some cases, they can make your casting worse, dependant on how the line comes off the reels. 

Thanks for the info, I will bear this in mind when looking for the rods. 

Now knowing that 50mm butt guides are no use to my style of fishing, are there any rods just under the £100 mark, that have 40mm butt rings that you can recommend?