Time to Switch?

Roland

1 hour ago, Roland said:

I have heard a lot of people say use fishmeal boilies in the warmer weather and switch to birdseed when it cools down.

At what water temperature would you switch?

I am fishing 48hrs at Baden Hall next Friday and the water yemperature today is 14c what would you use?

Fishmeals for me too, all year...……. anything 7-8c or above and you will be ok...…. IMO the winter/summer bait switch is old school, there are much better, more soluble ingredients in todays fishmeal baits...… As has been pointed out before on here, it's unlikely that their nutritional requirements will change, fish meals give them what they need, although as the water starts to cool and their metabolism slows down, they won't be needing as much of it..... Besides, if you are going next week, they should be well on the munch still...…… Come Feb', we'll be begging for 8c water temps....

I use the same bait all the way through, often a fishmeal. I start the season on a bait and go with it all the way through. Since 2000 it has been a fishmeal bait.

The only thing I do is reduce how much I feed. This is on my season ticket water that I do fish all season.

I think the theory comes from anglers going onto new waters or day only lakes where a birdfood boilie may be more 'instantly' attractive compared to the fishmeal. Birdfood boilies usually have a higher leakage and flavours leak out quicker providing more instant attraction. Even birdfood boilies can be a long term bait, I used Enervite and Enervite Gold successfully long term, as well as my own home made baits. On day ticket or runs waters I may use a birdfood bait, but even then I have found a good fishmeal will work.

A few years ago I fished a water near me for a 5 day trip between Christmas and New Year, for the first two days the attractor pop-ups produced fish, then the carp switched onto the long term fishmeal bait I had been baiting with since the start of the session.