Fishmeal or birdfood

Carp123_0

One of my mates switched to this in the spring of this year and he's not looked back, banking fish to 49lb. The bait he was on, in my opinion was  miles better quality but he couldn't catch on it while others that were on it caught numerous fish but his confidence was gone with that bait so  decided to change to hydro k. End of the day it's made by bowers who's knows his bait, it will be good. 

9 times out of 10 though it's the angler that's no good and not the bait. 

Personally I prefer fish meals over seed/nut baits...…… A simple fishmeal  bait is easy to put together and roll and in recent years, ingredients like Pre digested fish meal and liquid and powdered hydro's, make fishmeal baits far more soluble and digestible, which in turn makes them far more attractive imo, than some of the older recipes, even in cooler temps...…...

I've not used ABS baits, but from what I've heard about their bait and the people that put it together, I'd have a lot of confidence in using it...….

This subject has come up recently, ie fishmeals…..  Are they really fish meals?... ( I'm talking about some of the big names in bait)….. The general feeling is that they cut corners and fish meal inclusion could be as little as 10%-15%, with the rest made up with cheaper bulk ingredients..... Doesn't matter too much, as long as you are catching. But a proper fishmeal bait with 40plus % quality "blended" fishmeals included , some soluble , some with a little oil content, With some decent milks at lowish levels.... is a good good bait imo, that just won't blow. And no flavours needed to mask the lack of fishmeals…….. I have half a dustbin full of base mix atm, with a moderate amount of fishmeals in the mix, at around 35%. If I lift the lid off, it smells like a fish market. Compare that to the fish meal base mixes sold by some firms and you are struggling to sniff the fish meals in the mix...… I love a fish meal bait, the general profile of "decent fish meals" provides virtually all a fish needs nutritionally (give or take). The fish know this and will keep eating it, as long as there are no corners cut imo.....

So, the other thing to consider is the type of water you fish...... Newer fisheries with hand reared fish stocked in at doubles or higher... Chances are , these fish will have been reared on fish meal pellets or similar and will be drawn to the fishy baits, recognising them as a natural food source..........

As Emcee mentioned, though,...... Doesn't matter what you use, you need to put the right amount, in the right place, at the right time. Harder than it sounds to consistently get right, even with the best bait in the world...

31 minutes ago, Carp123_0 said:

I fish a silty lake with some of that [censored]tt silk weed it's hard to use a fishmeal bait on bottom 

Not quite sure how that makes sense? Why it is harder to use a fishmeal than a bird food or nut based boilie? All round balls of boiled paste. 

If anything I’d be using a highly flavoured fishmeal that stinks enough to give you a headache, squid, monster crab, GLM, etc. That will combat the silt and silkweed and make sure the fish find it. 

1 hour ago, Carp123_0 said:

I fish a silty lake with some of that [censored]tt silk weed it's hard to use a fishmeal bait on bottom 

You'd be amazed at what they can find a few inches buried in silt or weed. A lot of their natural food is in just such places..... I can see how a buried bait can knock your confidence a bit though. Just depends on what sort of water you fish really. Some waters, a bright, over flavoured pop up just above the muck will get you a bite, some places, it may be a bit blatant and you could struggle for a bite..... TBH, silt can be a head ache in general. I feel more confident if I can find a slightly firmer spot where the silt isn't so deep, or even better, the seam where the silt patch meets gravel or clay...…. That's not to say I catch any more lol... I just feel better about the situation 🙂….

2 hours ago, Carp123_0 said:

I think hes referring to the bait taking on the smell of the silt

try soaking your baits in lake water before putting it out that way its already absorbed as much water as it can and wont suck up the silty smell