New reels ?

Come on then lads .... Looking at getting some new reels . Had infinities br's  for donkeys now & fancy a big pit that's a fair bit lighter .

Budget 200 - 300 £ per reel 

Do like the look of the ultegra c14+ & the power areo models .

Any input & reviews very welcome 😎

Funnily enough chilly I'm just about to purchase a couple of Aerlex XTB''s, I did have a play around with the Ultegra''s and they felt very light and very smooth, if I had the money, Ultegras would be my choice, but budget doesn't stretch that far. I've had my mitchell's a few years now and it's time to go with something that' built to last :)

I've done the off mate, too much noise, it' like a cross in between Total Wipeout and a Rave. I can't be dealing with all the noise and disturbance. A million tufties and coots that sit there waiting for bait to go in, that's providing the 15 million gulls haven't had it first lol 

I've joined a quiet little syndi local with the aim of getting back onto the Cotswolds later on this year. Between August and September time.

31 minutes ago, chillfactor said:

Can get the c14+ model for £200 per reel I will probably sell my br's as they still fetch decent money second hand,  should pay for more than half the cost of the new ones depending what I go for. 

How you getting on with the new water Gaz ? 

I realise the ultegra s are not up to the same level of the ci14 but I have ultegra xtb’s in 5500 and 14000 and cant fault them mate super smooth and a joy to use.....as you are aware my reviews Are not up to much 🤣😂 but based on my experience with the ultegra I can only inagine the ci14’d can only be better 

41 minutes ago, chillfactor said:

Do like the look of the ultegra c14+

I have these Chill, they are very light, with a very compact body... The 14000's have a very wide spool/bale arm and will not fit comfortably in any old rod skins/bag. They are fine in the Trakker one I ended up with... Brilliant line lay imo and cast like a dream due to the spool size.... Haven't caught on these yet so can't comment on playing fish on them.....£200 is a good price, that's about £80 off the rrp …… 

I’ve got the Ci4s in 5500 - absolutely stunning reels. Wouldn’t think twice about getting the 14000’s if I needed the extra distance.

You won’t regret it.

Make sure you play around with the washers to adjust the line lay. Mine came more front heavy. A thick and a thin washer sorted that out - nice and flat.

Just now, chillfactor said:

I'm surprised you haven't changed your br's. Considering how much you like to shed weight . I weighed my br's & the combined weight of all 3 came two just shy of 2 tonnes :lol:

I did replace them buddy with SS3000'S. The three are down to 1.5 tonnes now😜

10 hours ago, chillfactor said:

Appreciate the heads up sharpy 😎

What washer config did you end up with BC? 

I haven't, mine were ok from the off...….. Me being lazy. If anything they load a mega fraction top heavy, but seriously negligible and only noticed when they were fully loaded, by a few strands. I will probably adjust when I re load...… You get plenty of spare washers and spool savers too..... You'll need the spool savers, if you are buying the 14000's, or you'll end up with about 600 yrds of line on each spool...….. I'll dig them out later and see which size spool savers I used, I'm pretty sure it was the largest ones, but still get 280 yds of technium black 14lb on them.

Just now, chillfactor said:

Can end up going round in circles

Yes you can buddy..... it's a tough decision and a relatively big one at that. You don't buy new reels every day of the week eh....

1 minute ago, chillfactor said:

Was also looking at some of the tournament range from daiwa.

All great reels. They're ugly, heavy, noisy..... but they last forever.

My mate got a set of the C14's. When he got back off his first session with them the bail arm on one had bent in the rod bag. He hadn't dropped the bag or anything. Typical Shimmy imo.... amazing out of the box, don't stay that way. Daiwa in comparison aint great out of the box, but they stay in that same shape for years, and years, and years, and......

The only shimmy I'd get is either the old Long Cast (which I had until even they died after about 6/7 years) or the Tech Mags but they're ££££££££££££........................

The newer lightweight reels from both shimmy and Daiwa are light because they're made from plastic.

7 minutes ago, yonny said:

My mate got a set of the C14's. When he got back off his first session with them the bail arm on one had bent in the rod bag. He hadn't dropped the bag or anything.

12 hours ago, B.C. said:

The 14000's have a very wide spool/bale arm and will not fit comfortably in any old rod skins/bag.

Might explain it?

Here you go Chill... Tried to show line lay and bale arm width and compact body profile...…. At the time I bought these, I thought they were the best I could get within my budget, the spare spools being a bonus too, saves you at least another £150 on 3 of them... The Technium Black in 14lb is a very wiry line, something more supple would probably lay better.

IMG_20150306_181152.jpg

IMG_20150306_181211.jpg

IMG_20150306_181136.jpg

IMG_20150306_181126.jpg

IMG_20150306_181427.jpg