Safe Zone leader or Tungsten Tubing

Hi All...

As the title says Safe Zone leader or Tungsten Tubing.

I am thinking of 2 patterns this year...

No.1 being a safe zone leader with a lead clip system tied to a quick link pulled into the clip....BELOW

No.2 being a normal tungsten tubing lead clip setup still with mainline tied (palamor) to a quick link pulled into the clip...

5ab968afc9f4b_CopyofIMG_0953.jpg.9d3153661794a393c65a650d53405f6a.jpg

So what would be the best as i sometimes get the tubing ciming up the line..

17 hours ago, Highy said:

Hi All...

As the title says Safe Zone leader or Tungsten Tubing.

I am thinking of 2 patterns this year...

No.1 being a safe zone leader with a lead clip system tied to a quick link pulled into the clip....BELOW

No.2 being a normal tungsten tubing lead clip setup still with mainline tied (palamor) to a quick link pulled into the clip...

5ab968afc9f4b_CopyofIMG_0953.jpg.9d3153661794a393c65a650d53405f6a.jpg

So what would be the best as i sometimes get the tubing ciming up the line..

Personally I try to avoid leaders altogether, going mainline straight through or tubing if I have to.

Nige Woodcock made a tip on a thread a while ago to stop the tubing climbing. Lighter blob the end that is held in the lead clip or buffer bead. The lighter blobbed end stops it pulling out and up.

The pic is my standard mainline with tubing on, and a running lead. I don't do quick links or lead clips

image.jpeg

Edited by salokcinnodrog
Edited to remove typo

Sound advice above fella.

A lot of these clips & links are a bit of a gimmick. I saw a video showing how much movement there is on a lead clip to the hair. I will now only use it in silty conditions when you may need that kind of movement. I am a firm believer in keeping things simple. Mainline with running or drop off leads. Bead to swivel & hook link. It takes seconds to tie, keeps terminal tackle cost down & is less likely to cause tangles.

I know some venues require a leader of sorts. Wouldn't fish them personally.,but a good angler I know swears by lead core, if used correctly. 

On ‎3‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 08:57, salokcinnodrog said:

Personally I try to avoid leaders altogether, going mainline straight through or tubing if I have to.

Nige Woodcock made a tip on a thread a while ago to stop the tubing climbing. Lighter blob the end that is held in the lead clip or buffer bead. The lighter blobbed end stops it pulling out and up.

The pic is my standard mainline with tubing on, and a running lead. I don't do quick links or lead clips

image.jpeg

Hi Nick, I know you are not a fan of leaders, just wondering what bs line you use, and what lead sizes for a 100yd chuck?...... Not a big fan of 6+ metres of shock leader, but always worried about crack offs without a leader on a long chuck..... Gotten away with no shock leader in the past, with most fishing done at short to mid range... This season will require a further chuck now and then. There is a 15lb minimum bs rule for mainlines. Do you recon that will stand up to being cast naked (Technium black) without the need of a braided shock leader? Cheers.

6 hours ago, B.C. said:

Hi Nick, I know you are not a fan of leaders, just wondering what bs line you use, and what lead sizes for a 100yd chuck?...... Not a big fan of 6+ metres of shock leader, but always worried about crack offs without a leader on a long chuck..... Gotten away with no shock leader in the past, with most fishing done at short to mid range... This season will require a further chuck now and then. There is a 15lb minimum bs rule for mainlines. Do you recon that will stand up to being cast naked (Technium black) without the need of a braided shock leader? Cheers.

With the 2.75 NG's I was using a 3oz lead on 15lb Gardner Pro Blend, with the 3.25 The Ones I use 3.5oz lead on 15lb P-line Floroclear.  

Since I went onto the higher TC rods I have suffered a few crack-offs when going for it. I'm not comfortable leaving leads, hooks or tackle in a lake due to my incompetance, but the amount of weed means I'm not going to risk tethering a fish on a leader. I would much rather the run ring and lead comes off the line guaranteed, so a fish is just trailing a hooklink.

I also don't like braided leaders either, even less than normal leaders. Braided leaders need double the strength of mono. So for a 3oz lead, in theory, you would need a 30lb mono leader, for braid you need 60lb. I also like my fingers, I do make miscasts, hence my crack-offs, but braid can cut through to the bone. I don't feel comfortable wearing a glove or finger stall, it actually worsens my casting, more miscasts and slipping versus protection.

I say 'theory' above about line strength against lead size, I think that line has most definitely improved since the days of Bayer Perlon, Maxima and Sylcast, but most we were using in 8lb, not the 15 we do now, so we needed a shockleader more.

I used to use Black Amnesia, in 20 or 30lb or Drennan Grey Greased Weasel in 40lb as my shockleader. They are softer than clear, or other colours in the respective range, more supple and cast better. (I do still use them on my marker and spod rods)

I will say, on giving it the big one, check the mainline to hooklink or leader join, every cast. 

Not all lines can put up with a big chuck. Some lose strength, ping for no reason, yet are ok with a leader. Others can stand the abuse. 

Others may say different, but I like a casting line to be supple, not stiff, it has to be a good diameter versus strength. So when it says 15lb, it should be 0.35mm. Thicker lines obviously reduce casting distance. I worry about thinner lines than 0.35, they may well be 15lb, but can they stand the abuse of  repeated regular casting?