Rod has turned white

It's water under the resin. Have you dried the rod out? It might just disappear.... but it will come back every time it rains.

Makes no difference to the rod tbh. Not sure if there's anything that can be done about it I'm afraid bud. Someone on here will know though.

9 minutes ago, Lumeymorris said:

Guy one of my rods has turned cloudy from a really wet fishing trip now I've never had this before so what does it mean is my rod now no good or can I still use it? And is there anyway to get rid of the white stuff?

The rod varnish has allowed water underneath it, probably through a small imperfection, usually where the varnish meets the reel seat or a rod ring.

Dry the rod thoroughly, in a warm dry place like the airing cupboard. It should not affect the rod but does look unsightly. If you want to stop it coming back once it's dry, the rod needs to be re-varnished, properly and completely. That is a job in itself and may mean the rod needs to be stripped down and rebuilt. Not really a job for yourself unless you know what you are doing.

1 minute ago, salokcinnodrog said:

If you want to stop it coming back once it's dry, the rod needs to be re-varnished, properly and completely. That is a job in itself and may mean the rod needs to be stripped down and rebuilt. Not really a job for yourself unless you know what you are doing.

For sure. It's cheaper to have a new rod built in most cases nowadays. The builders can't be bothered with the clean up job associated with re-build. Most of them no-qoute this kind of thing.

2 minutes ago, yonny said:

For sure. It's cheaper to have a new rod built in most cases nowadays. The builders can't be bothered with the clean up job associated with re-build. Most of them no-qoute this kind of thing.

It is a genuine pain most definitely. Stanley knife or razor blade cut the whipping on every rod, taking care not to cut the blank, then removing the old thread completely. Sanding the blank down to get rid of the rubbish left, then rewhipping the rod rings back in the right places, followed by a decent coat of a good resin on top of the whipping. Then, a thin mix of rod lacquer or varnish over the top of everything.

The strip and clean will likely take a day in itself, whipping the eyes back on, dependant on how fast you are, and what equipment you have, half a day. Resin the whipping, and allowing that to dry, while having the blank turned regularly (or continually), at least 24 hours. Lacquering the rod, and that drying, again another day.

I can do it, have done it, but if I told you I hate doing it, and would charge around the same price as a new mid range rod, £150 ish, then as Yonny says, you are better off having a new rod.

Out of interest what make and model of rods are they?

• 3 weeks later...