Uncoated braid

steve333

Cheers Nick,looked on Leslies of Lutons online catalogue at the Kryston uncoated braids & by the descriptions Merlin sounds a safe bet as i will be using long(2'6'') hooklengths on a light running rig fished over silt slack lined.

If you are fishing hooklengths of that distance mate how about fishing a combi link of mono and a 2 or 3" section of braid near the hook? This will cut down on the risk of tangles.

Cheers Nick,looked on Leslies of Lutons online catalogue at the Kryston uncoated braids & by the descriptions Merlin sounds a safe bet as i will be using long(2'6'') hooklengths on a light running rig fished over silt slack lined.

Steve, as ToniB has pointed out, I would also be worried about fishing braided hook lengths over 2 ft long. I would be paraniod about it tangling on the cast. I also think you might be better off with a mono hook length. If you're worried about the colour, you could always run a black permenant marker pen down the mono and colour it black like the silt ??

If you really do want to fishing braided hooklengths that long then the ones from Kryston Nick has mention are very good. I've caught fish in Merlin and Silkworm :wink:

Steve, as ToniB has pointed out, I would also be worried about fishing braided hook lengths over 2 ft long. I would be paraniod about it tangling on the cast. I also think you might be better off with a mono hook length. If you're worried about the colour, you could always run a black permenant marker pen down the mono and colour it black like the silt ??

If you really do want to fishing braided hooklengths that long then the ones from Kryston Nick has mention are very good. I've caught fish in Merlin and Silkworm :wink:

Kryston also have the cure for Tangles in long braided Hooklinks: Superstiff

SUPER STIFF™

Anti Tangle Gel

Water soluble anti tangle treatment. Stiffens multi strands and all loosely braided lines to prevent tangles. Once in water, the gel will dissolve allowing the hook-link to revert back to its original soft supple form giving you superb presentation in a tangle-free state. No smell, no taste, non-toxic, essential for Kryston Multi Strand users. Simply squeeze a small amount of gel onto index finger, and using finger and thumb work the gel well into the fibres of the line. Using dry fingers remove excess gel from the line. Allow about four minutes for gel to cure.

It can also be used to create a Concertina effect, divide the hooklink into quarters (or whatever, divsible by 2) and coat it with Superstiff.

Interesting replies guys,i think i will tie some uncoated braid(kryston merlin)& some mono(what do you recommend?)that way i'll see which works best.

Steve, if you're going for a Kryston braid then I would suggest that you go for silkworm. Merlin is green in colour and more suited to weeder situations IMO. Silkworm, is greyish with black flecks and can easily be "coloured" with a black marker pen to match the silty bottom. Also, from memory, silkworm is slightly thinner in diameter.

Interesting replies guys,i think i will tie some uncoated braid(kryston merlin)& some mono(what do you recommend?)that way i'll see which works best.

Steve, if you're going for a Kryston braid then I would suggest that you go for silkworm. Merlin is green in colour and more suited to weeder situations IMO. Silkworm, is greyish with black flecks and can easily be "coloured" with a black marker pen to match the silty bottom. Also, from memory, silkworm is slightly thinner in diameter.

Thats true, it also is slightly more buoyant, so I would rub it up and down with Putty or put small pieces along it to get it to fall on the lakebed.

Thanks lads,will get some silkworm & maybe rub some of the lake silt down it to camouflage it & maybe counteract it's buoyany(will also be using a small stick which should help the rig straighten out & settle better on the silt),if i get problems with tangling due to the long(2'6'')hooklength,will try using fluorocarbon to see if it works better.