Fox Impact Spod Fixed?

I'm just wondering if they ever fixed the problem with the pin coming out. I've considered the Impact in the the past, but after reading about the problem with the pin, I went with the mid-size Spomb. I'm thinking of getting the large Spomb, but if the Impact's issue has been fixed, I may give it try due to it being easy to fill with one hand. 

Edited by TnCarper
Misspell

9 hours ago, TnCarper said:

Thanks:), I may give the large Impact a try then. Thanks again.

It wasn't just hinge pin faults with the Impact spods, it was also the front closure on them, they had a tendency to open in flight, or even not to close properly in the first place.

With all due respect to Fox, I would avoid the spods, and stick to the Spomb. I have bought a few Spombs, (and lost a few) and would not consider the Fox Impact spod at all.

The only reason I have lost Spombs, is my own incompetance, I have never had an issue with the opening in flight, unless I have overfilled it into the mechanism, or the fins.

12 hours ago, salokcinnodrog said:

It wasn't just hinge pin faults with the Impact spods, it was also the front closure on them, they had a tendency to open in flight, or even not to close properly in the first place.

I've had several Impact Spods and the mechanism on the front has, in general, been miles better than the Spombs I've owned. I must have been lucky.

Both the Impact Spod and the Spombs are inconsistent. Good ones are good and poor ones are useless but I find the Impact Spod is more consistent than the Spomb since the pin problem was fixed.

For general use (filling and chucking) I reckon the Impact Spod is best. However, a decent Spomb is better than the Fox one while a poor Spomb is much, much worse. The retrieve on the Fox is very poor compared to the Spomb and can be quite hard work until you suss out the method for getting them to the top quickly.

I had a couple of DOT Spods imported from Slovenia. These load, fly, and retrieve as good as or better than both the Impact Spod and the Spomb, but the capacity is rubbish.... it holds half what the others do.

I think a real decent Spomb is the best of the lot, but I find you need to buy 3 or 4 to get a real decent one (one that stays closed for every cast yet opens every time when you hit the clip). Pretty much all of the Impact Spods are now half decent (i.e. stay closed on the cast and open every time) so you only need to buy one. If you don't mind spending hours spodding due to capacity issues the DOT Spod is the one - flawless performance, but it takes ages spodding out tiny handfuls a time....

I do think it's time Spomb re-designed their offering - with the lessons learned from the original Spomb and Impact Spod it should be very easy for them to bring out something very consistent that loads, closes, casts, flies, opens and retrieves well.

I've found after a lot of use the spod 'button' gets loose and opens on casts, I just turn it around as the original feature is there to allow for spombing in high winds to stop it opening on a real hard chuck. But as it's a bit looser anyway it works a treat. prolongs it's life by a few months anyway.

Also with spombs, if they open when being stored for any length of time they are MUCH harder to keep closed

10 hours ago, greekskii said:

I've found after a lot of use the spod 'button' gets loose and opens on casts, I just turn it around as the original feature is there to allow for spombing in high winds to stop it opening on a real hard chuck. But as it's a bit looser anyway it works a treat. prolongs it's life by a few months anyway.

Also with spombs, if they open when being stored for any length of time they are MUCH harder to keep closed

11 hours ago, yonny said:

I've had several Impact Spods and the mechanism on the front has, in general, been miles better than the Spombs I've owned. I must have been lucky.

Both the Impact Spod and the Spombs are inconsistent. Good ones are good and poor ones are useless but I find the Impact Spod is more consistent than the Spomb since the pin problem was fixed.

For general use (filling and chucking) I reckon the Impact Spod is best. However, a decent Spomb is better than the Fox one while a poor Spomb is much, much worse. The retrieve on the Fox is very poor compared to the Spomb and can be quite hard work until you suss out the method for getting them to the top quickly.

I had a couple of DOT Spods imported from Slovenia. These load, fly, and retrieve as good as or better than both the Impact Spod and the Spomb, but the capacity is rubbish.... it holds half what the others do.

I think a real decent Spomb is the best of the lot, but I find you need to buy 3 or 4 to get a real decent one (one that stays closed for every cast yet opens every time when you hit the clip). Pretty much all of the Impact Spods are now half decent (i.e. stay closed on the cast and open every time) so you only need to buy one. If you don't mind spending hours spodding due to capacity issues the DOT Spod is the one - flawless performance, but it takes ages spodding out tiny handfuls a time....

I do think it's time Spomb re-designed their offering - with the lessons learned from the original Spomb and Impact Spod it should be very easy for them to bring out something very consistent that loads, closes, casts, flies, opens and retrieves well.

I've been very lucky then, I have never purchased a bad Spomb, never had one open on the cast, unless I have overfilled it, (blocking the fin end from closing), or gotten mix in the closure pin. I have however had a few casts where it stays shut, usually when the cast flattens as it hits the clip hard.

I do turn the front closure round as well, and when its in the rucksack, or not in use set up on the bank, make sure I put the rubber band around the outside to keep it shut.

When I was in the tackle shop, all those moons ago, we did have a number of Fox Impact spods come back with front closure problems, where they would not stay shut. 

Thanks everyone:)I decided to go with the large Spomb, seeing as there is less flaws with it overall compared with the Impact. I also was worried that the place I would have got the Impact from may still have the older ones with the pin problem in stock.

Thanks again for the advice.